cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps cutting out

Gonzo63
Joining in

Some work was carried out in our area by you guys about 6 weeks ago. Since then our internet keeps cutting out intermittently, sometimes for extended periods. This is happening across multiple devices so isnt a device issue. A lot of the time the device says that it can connect to the internet, but doesnt have a secure connection? I would really like this dealt with asap because it is seriously affecting our ability to work from home. 

7 REPLIES 7

cbvanzella
Tuning in

We've been having exactly the same issue for about 3 weeks. It's been affecting not only our residence but all our neighbours too (we have a Whatsapp group where everybody has been complaining). The connection is extremely unstable, with service up and down all day every day for weeks, and very often it simply goes down completely for a long time. We and other neighbours have been contacting Virgin through all possible channels to get this sorted, but we all hear different excuses: refuse to acknowledge the problem, attempt to shift the fault to something else, promise a technician will show up (then they don't), promise it will be sorted by X date and time (then it's not) and, more often, just a complete inability to even register a complaint. Many of us work from home and have been spending an absurd amount of money on new data sims to temporarily replace Virgin, or buying extra data to use on mobiles as hotspots. There are over 30 houses on the road suffering the same problem for several days and we don't know what else to do. 

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Gonzo63,

Thanks for your post and it's great having you back in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having continued issues with your connection. Checking our systems, I can see all is looking well with the Hub in terms of power and signal levels, uptime and time outs. There are no faults open that may be affecting you either. I can see all the devices are connecting through the WiFi. 

There are so many things that can influence a WiFi connection some of which include but are not limited to, a fish tank being in the same room, walls being built with concrete instead of brick, it could even be that your next door neighbours router is interfering with yours. Due to this, we are only able to offer limited help. Please have a look here: WiFi Help.

The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

• Out in the open
  • Next to the TV not behind it
  • Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)
  • Away from baby monitors and cordless phones

Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi. 

If that doesn't help, you can download our Connect App which will allow you to scan areas of your home and will offer help. You can view more information on that here

Finally, you can view more about our new WiFi Max service here

Please keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hey,

The thing is it has been working fine prior to this for months? The only thing thats changed is you doing work in the area taking the servers down briefly. There must be something that can be done about this, otherwise why am i paying for internet?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As Kath was intimating.... are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

Lots of things may have changed in your wifi environment without you realising. For example, we have a new Panasonic microwave oven and whenever it goes on our wifi connections drop out - they come back on the "ping" - thank you Panasonic.

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white(ish) or flashing green?

Different solutions will apply to wifi and ethernet issues.

Can you try a Hub reset too - often helps...

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords and SSID’s will reset to those on the sticker.

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Gonzo63, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. I have looked into this and there are no area outages and everything looks fine. 

Can you confirm if you are still having an issue since posting? 

Can you do a BQM here

Kind regards, Chris. 

Hey, yeah there has been no change on this issue whatsoever. Internet cuts regularly all the time.

Hi @Gonzo63, thanks for the reply on the forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the connection.
After having a look I will further investigate the matter.

I will send a private message - watch out for the purple envelope inviting you in.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.  

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs