Menu
knfruitbat
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet goes down every day, just like many other users, but apparently I need to post my ow...

And again. Ridiculous.

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 12 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet goes down every day, just like many other users, but apparently I need to post my ow...

I understand that you're annoyed about this but unlike nocturnal fruit bats (flying foxes) I dont know if the techies will be out at 1 am-ish (trying to fix this, not scavenging for fruit)!

See how things are once the deadline for the known issue to be fixed passes.

You haven't yet answered the earlier question of what hub you have (just incase the issue is also in some way hub dependant) so what is it?

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@Flying_Kiwi 

I don't think the model of hub is relevant

Looking at the logs two things stick out at me.

1. T3 errors - These usually indicate errors on the upstream side - this is further born out by 
  2. TCS Partial Service.  - TCS stands for transmitted channel set (which I believe is the upstream channels), the equivalent term for downstream is RCS  (Received channel set)

Whenever you see the words partial service, it means that the hub has failed to lock in all of the channels and is instead using a subset in order to give a limited connection, but will also try to connect up to the full set.

@ModTeam - Rather than simply throwing fault numbers into the thread, can you confirm whether this is noise ingress, FEC issue?

@knfruitbat Bear in mind that the ETA is just that - Estimated, it can end up being longer or shorter.  I once had a fault that took over a month to fix, as the engineers had to track down the source of noise ingress that was knocking my connection off line periodically.  That turned out to be from a neighbouring street.

Finally going back to the title of the thread.  There are a number of reasons why posters are encouraged to start their own threads:

1. Just because your issue has similar symptoms, doesn't mean it's caused by the same thing,
  2. Chasing multiple users in the same thread gets confusing - people end up getting missed.
  3. The forum is designed for users to help other users.  One of the features of this is the helpful answer button - which allows the original poster in a thread to mark the thread as solved.  Again if you are piggybacking, this can result in your post getting missed.
  4. Contrary to popular belief - everyone piling in on the same thread, doesn't show the scale of a problem.  Often when I am helping on the email Forum, it's a number of different posts started with a common theme that can tell us if something is brewing.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @knfruitbat 

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for your post. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having some issues with your services.

I have just taken a look over your account,  I can see that there is a utilisation issue in the area, there ETA for fix is the 29/04/21 at 13:00.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
knfruitbat
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Still happening every day. If you look at my account there should be a note saying I have reported this in January and either late March or early April. It happens almost every night between 1am and 2am, and can also happen randomly during the day.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Oh dear.... if it is a utilistion issue - see this thread re. over-utilisation and Andrew’s comments in Message 4

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Jitter-and-latency/m-p/4609932#M378967

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 30
Flag for a moderator

The timing and symptoms are wrong for this to be caused by utilisation IMHO.

This is why you have to be careful of existing open tickets.  They can cause other issues to be ignored.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 18 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

The timing and symptoms are wrong for this to be caused by utilisation IMHO.

My hunch is that between 1 - 2 am UK time it's not OU either. I can't see why there should be an over utilisation issue (due to anything that customers are intentionally doing anyway) at this time, if it doesn't also occur a bit earlier in the evening. If this is a regular as clockwork type occurrence, I think its likely due to some automated process or activity kicking in.

I think in this case the network should be scrutinised especially looking for this sort of factor. IF VM have access to the system logs on Hubs in the neighbouring area (or the OP knows his neighbours well enough to be able ho do so), it could start with comparing logs in the area. Is the same thing happening to all the VM hubs in this area at the same time?

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hello Flying_Kiwi

Thanks for your last post 

I have had a look at at few things from here 

Hubs in good shape, power levels are all good 

The outage has been cleared 

We do however update our servers at times when less people are online 

I worked nights online for Virgin Media and every night same time the connection would drop for a minute or so 

I asked in work and it took a while for someone to inform me its a server update

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Flying_Kiwi
Fibre optic
Message 20 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Gareth_L and explanation. I understand that server maintenance/updates/backups etc often occur in the small hours and this is why I mentioned it's unlikely to be an OU issue *associated with anything customers are doing*.

I do think it'd be worth VM looking at new ways of making these procedures less intrusive though (especially given it sometimes occurs during the daytime for the OP as well).

0 Kudos