Menu
Highlighted
Mattm77
Tuning in
Message 31 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent exclamation mark

So... 

After an eternity on the phone Tuesday evening with Virgin, they ran every test (repeating everything I had been doing daily for 4 days) before telling me everything was fine. I disputed this and eventually tech said that they would call me back in 30 mins to see how things were. I said that was pointless as the fault is intermittent and there's every chance nothing will have happened.

30 mins later... Callback... Everything fine! Tech says case closed. After a frustrated conversation trying to get my point across the tech goes to speak to a senior tech and will call me back. 15 mins later, call back, they agree to send me a new Superhub.

Superhub arrived yesterday. Set up last night. Same problem appears to persist. 

As I said in my previous post I've used a WiFi analyser to check for crowded channels, toggled optimisation, rebooted and reset every device on the network. It doesn't seem to make a difference and its so intermittent I'm at a loss to understand. There's no consistency in location of the house when it happens, or time, or other network activity. Lan seems fine. Only consistency is both our phones are S9s with latest android.

I'm not a tech but have a hunch that it may be something to do with handover between 2.4g and 5g networks but due to the house layout/ distance (and a couple of older devices) I can't switch off the 2.4g until I buy a mesh as I'll definately lose a chunk of coverage.

Come on Virgin. Give me a clue here! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Snow-kitty
On our wavelength
Message 32 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Running Samsung S7 upto date software. Problem been ongoing for over a week.

Tonight I have manually changed my channels using a channel sniffer, choosing the best channels around as everyone elses hub seemed to be on my channels. See how the day goes and if my signal drops.

Ran a few speed tests, all showing normal numbers, but they did beforehand......

As i said, will see if manually changing the channels my 2.4Ghz is running through makes a difference. Rebooting your Hub gives you a possible solution as it is supposed to find the least congested channels, however from testing this, my Hub was choosing the same channels as everyone elses Hubs!  SO was doing the exact opposite it was supposed to.

Will report back with any findings that may help others, this is shocking to think that it's not just 1 or 2 people with the exact same problem, it's many people and I guess many more who are not on the forum. Virgin should fix this with a patch. All was fine before the update 😕

0 Kudos
Highlighted
NeDeLLe
Tuning in
Message 33 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Snow-kitty could you explain to me how I can change the channels manually please. It is a bloody disgrace that so many people are having the same problem but virgin don't seem bothered about it at all. I'm sick of explaining to different advisors my situation and each one comes back with the same answer... reboot your router!! I'd need someone to sit beside my router all day because the problem is getting that bad 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Snow-kitty
On our wavelength
Message 34 of 72
Flag for a moderator

I'll do my best to explain how to manually change your channel. Initially each time you reboot your router, it automatically chooses which chanel it detecs as being the best one. When I ran the WiFi channel app (Come to that soon) I noticed that many around me used the same channel, including my own.

First you will need the password printed on the base of your hub. It's a string of numbers, it's not the Wi-Fi password, write it on a piece of paper or something as you'll need it.
  Secondly you'll need to search for a channel sniffer app, (See pic at  Apps to use  ) this helps identify which channels are good. The one I used is called Wi-Fi analyser. You need to understand the app a bit to find the right channel, thankfully that app even tells you which are good ones to use.
   You can visually see which ones as it shows the good ones with green stars, the bad ones with red.  Ensure the 2.4Ghz is pressed at top of the app screen. Then press the far right icon/button (See pic Screenshot of analyser area WiFi ) this shows a list of nearby WiFi users, your own should be showing.
Next press the button icon next to that one and it'll show a list of stars, some green, some red, some amber. At the bottom it tells you the best channel to use. (See pic List showing stars and best channels to use)   Ensure   New AP  is highlighted.

Now we need to login to our Hub, works the same for all Hubs really.
Open an explorer page Firefox, Chrome etc and in the address bar you need to type    192.168.0.1
this will open up a page like this Hub 3.0 Login  and give you a box to type the Hub password you wrote down. Type the Hub password into the box and click  Next 
You should be into your Hubs settings page. Click      Advanced settings    then click     Wireless   then click   Wireless Signal

This is what you should see.. Wireless signal page   At the bottom you will see   Smart WiFi   new Hubs have this set to   Enabled  We need to  Disable it, so click in the circle next to   Disable Channel Optimisation 
You will now be able to change things.  Only change the 2.4Ghz    Where it says Channel    Click   Manual    to change it from Auto  Next to that it says Channel (The current channel)  Change this to the channel number you found using the WiFi app, for me it showed channel 3, 4, 5, 6 as being good to use and 8, 9,10, 11 as being bad to use.
You don't need to change anything else, after putting the channel number in, click   Apply Changes  at the bottom. You can exit this page entirely now.
Anything you had previously connected to your WiFi will need reconnecting.
            If at anytime you feel that this is to much and has gone wrong, Reboot your Hub as it will forget the change and return to normal Auto channel. This goes for each time you reboot your Hub, if you want to use a different channel, you will have to go through this again.

Good luck!  Since last night, my phone has not dropped out once!  Could be coincidence, but I don't know yet. Smiley Happy

Best regards, SK

Snow-kitty
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 72
Flag for a moderator

To follow up on this, initially this seemed to work fine for me, had no drop outs until I went out and came back in hours later. Signal loss and still nothing from Virgin in regards to a fix.
Having to put settings on my phone to force 4G over WiFi which I shouldn't have to do while at home.

SK
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired) Joe_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 36 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Hi Snow-Kitty,

Thank you for reaching out. Apologies if you have had issue of getting signal loss. How are things looking at the moment since your post? You can also use this link to get tips on how to improve your WiFi connection.

You can visit here to check the service status in your area. We'd like to hear an update from you how does it go.

Raziel_I

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Snow-kitty
On our wavelength
Message 37 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Joe...I F Raziel....middle name?

Now thats out the way, I can get down to this stupid issue that has nothing whatsoever to do with my Hubs placement, or outages in the area, It is plain and simply a Virgin media fault within an update that has failed to allow users with Samsungs and also and some Android phones using certain systems. Far to many users reporting this issue, users being customers.

I was advised that a reboot of my Router would allow the update to take place. So over the last 24 hours I disconnected all equipment, Wifi turned off on my phone and tablet and rebooted my hub. Has this worked?  No, im sorry to say that this has not worked at all and Im loosing patience with it and will be happy to pay to switch supplier who doesnt roll out an "update" that stops my phone and tablet from talking to the hub.
  Best regards,  SK

Highlighted
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 38 of 72
Flag for a moderator

So VM you still think router mode was a good idea?

You can fix the issue by getting your own router with 1Gb ports and use modem mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired) Raziel_I
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 39 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate you get back to us, Snow Kitty.

I'm sorry if you feel that way. I completely understand why you're losing patience with it, especially when you already follow the instructions given to you. Definitely not the kind of service we want you to experience. Have you already contacted us via text message? If not, please use this number

07533051809  to get in touch with our Cable SMS Support and also for them to check further information with the issue occurred. Hope this helps.

Raziel_I

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Snow-kitty
On our wavelength
Message 40 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Well it's not going great is it. Even the SMS service is as hit and miss as my WiFi issue. Does seem like thiers only 2 options.

Option 1    Buy a router, this guarantee a workaround, don't want to and shouldnt have to buy one.

Option 2   Leave Virgin for Vodaphone who my Mobile provider is with and keep asking if I want to switch.

SK

0 Kudos