cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent broadband

Mandy23
Joining in

For the last couple of weeks we’ve had intermittent broadband in the evenings on and off. It’s cutting off on wired devices too. It’s mostly fine in the day. When it cuts out it’s generally only for a minute or so. 
If I check service status on the app it says no problems but if I ring the 0800 number it says engineers are working on a complex issue. 
If I ring the number again the next morning when it’s ok it says there’s no problem but the thing is is that it happens again in the evening and I ring again and get the same saying complex issue. 
Its becoming really frustrating for everyone now especially my autistic son who loves his gaming. We also changed our package to a faster broadband a few weeks back, not sure if this could affect the issue but it really needs sorting now. 
Any help greatfully received. 

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you set up a BQM so we can see the issue...

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John but that all sounds a bit complicated for me to do. 

I have just spoken to someone who has told me everything seems fine and to ring back when we have the problem. Surely if I have been phoning the 0800 number that says there’s a complex issue in the evenings they should know about that? 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
They should... but who knows if they can. The 0800 number is for local faults - for example related to a single street cabinet - whereas - Areas are not Geographic” - they are "legacy billing" areas) and as such that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers across the country. E.g. I am in Area 20 in Manchester - as are other customers in London, Bristol and elsewhere - so if thats where they are looking it wont show to them.

Try the BQM - its not really complicated at all - just click on the link at the bottom of my upper post and click on "Create a new monitor" and it will set it up for you - you can then just post up links to your monitor

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

E89EF116-F17A-4AA8-8D7E-B92C93CB4271.jpeg

 Managed to do it. This is pic of it so far. Been ok so far today but will see what it’s like when everyone is using devices tonight. Last night was bad, I presume that’s all the red parts. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Could be - but they may have fixed a fault at midnight 🙂

Lets see if that pattern reappears - report back this evening.

--------------------
John
--------------------

The pattern repeated last night. Engineer coming Monday.  Graph showing fine all day again. Come 5ish it starts. Had to go to complaints to talk to someone. 

Hi Mandy23,

Thank you for the update, sorry to hear the issues are still ongoing.

Please do keep us posted with how the visit goes tomorrow.

Kind regards

Beth