Menu
adepher
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent broadband & variable speeds

Our wifi broadband connection drops out regularly or reduces to an extremely poor signal. When we are connected, we experience speeds of over 200mbs, down to around 20mbs at times. There doesnt seem to be a pattern of when we lose connection or experience slow speeds. Even when our signal is available, it loses it in some rooms upstairs. We have had to buy signal extenders just to maintain a signal. We dont use any wired connections.

I reported the issue and the call centre technician walked through a reboot, then a factory rest of the Hub 3. This didnt fix the proble. An engineer was arranged and when they came, they just split the connection between 2G & 5G and said to connect to whichever was best. This also has not solved the problem.

Barring moving broadband providers (which would be cheaper but hassle), what other options are there ? 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent broadband & variable speeds

VM (& all other BB providers) provide a service that is guaranteed TO the Hub and what comes out from it on an ethernet cabled device. They all expressly exclude guaranteeing wifi connections - as it is so influenced by the external environment. Even BT with its glossy ad's saying wifi is “guaranteed”, also charge £10/month for that and say that if it isn’t sorted they will just give you £100 back.

VM try and help with splitting the SSID's, swapping the Hub (just in case!) and providing pods etc., but the reality is, that if the Hub wifi doesnt work well for you then you are far better sourcing your own wireless equipment.

I did that 20 years ago and have never had a wifi issue anywhere in the house.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos