Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittant Wifi + Slow Wired Connection

chrevans86
Joining in

Hi all,

I'm running a 1gb line and Hub4. 

In short, a wired connection (Cat6 cable) can't offer more than 12mbps. I know VM don't guarantee wifi but even with a device directly next to the Hub4 it only offers 380mps. 

I've tried the hard reboot (pinhole) on several occasions. No change. 

I've read various posts and the only thing I noticed was that similar to another slow speed, when my engineer originally fitted the line they ran an extension rather than a direct cable (apparently). 

That said, that wouldn't explain why the ethernet ports are running so slowly. 

Given its a near impossible task to contact VM to request an engineer I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?  

4 REPLIES 4

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

380Mbps over Wi-Fi is normal/average for a wifi5 AC device.

What wired device are you speedtesting with and is this wired direct to the hub or via a switch or powerline plug?

Have you also tried different cables?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi Gary, thanks for that. I'm less concerned on the wifi was moreso to demonstrate the line in clearly has a higher speed. 

Tried different cables and different ports across 2x Dell Laptops. Wired direct. Both maxed out at 12mbps and at times dropped as low as 6. 

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks

Do you have any other devices you can test with?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

No, they're the only 2 wired devices (other than media equipment).