cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPLAYER AND VPN

terri_keith
Tuning in

I can’t play on my tvs the iplayer it’s asking if I’m on a VPN as far as I’m aware I’m not 

how do I check this 

11 REPLIES 11

g0akc
Problem sorter

Check what your public IP is and what ISP or company it's registered as, and where it is apparently located.  Does it show as UK?

Try a site like this

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

(Don't tell us your IP address)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Hey thank u for replying yes it shows as Belfast 😞 I don’t know what to do 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

FYI: Why does BBC iPlayer think I'm outside the UK? | iPlayer help and should the issue persists follow the advice to contact the BBC for further help.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

@terri_keith wrote:

Hey thank u for replying yes it shows as Belfast 😞 I don’t know what to do 

Okay. Are you actually in NI?  Which town are you in?

It might be that the database the BBC are using shows your IP address as elsewhere.  It may correct itself within a few days.  Follow the link in reply 4 and contact the BBC if necessary.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Yeah they sent me links I don’t know how to check if I have a vpn they think could be that too 

yeah it’s correct town I updated on the app too and cleared the cache and relogged in 😞

@terri_keith wrote:

Yeah they sent me links I don’t know how to check if I have a vpn they think could be that too 

yeah it’s correct town I updated on the app too and cleared the cache and relogged in 😞

It’s unlikely you have a VPN - if you did you’d know about it, and have the necessary software or app running.  That’s unlikely on a smart TV and won’t be on your VM hub.

Besides, if you were using a VPN to connect your devices the IP address would show up with a different location/town.

I’d go back to the BBC and tell them you’ve checked and that your IP address is registered to Belfast and there’s no VPN involved.

You could just check that the telly is definitely connected to your Virgin Hub (network name shown on it) and not on a neighbouring connection or the public Virgin hotspot.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

The Ironic thing about this it you can bet VPN in the UK are registered to be in the UK and will play iplayer for any one yet being in the UK with a UK ISP without a VPN you get the odd subnet missed out as being in the UK to play iplayer.😞

---------------------------------------------------------------

g0akc
Problem sorter

@legacy1 wrote:

The Ironic thing about this it you can bet VPN in the UK are registered to be in the UK and will play iplayer for any one yet being in the UK with a UK ISP without a VPN you get the odd subnet missed out as being in the UK to play iplayer.😞

Yep, not lost on me legacy.  Presumably the BBC think that's what the OP is doing here - trying to view BBC content from overseas.

Yes done it all tried to contact virgin they said they wr sending to their faults team but never heard a thing back