OK so my broadband went off for a while, it came back about 30 minutes later and my wired connection to my computer seemed to work fine (although it did appear to be a bit "snaggy" at times as can happen after the broadband first come back.
However I found none of my wireless devices (amazon fire tablets and android phone) worked.
It was clear my usual virgin media connection point ie VM023938 (or whatever) was no longer there.
I tried power cycling the router a couple of times but it was still the same, working but no wifi.
I am wondering if some of the default setting are wrong?
(under advanced - security)
Of interest are."WiFi Network Name (SSID) broadcast Yes/No"
This is set to NO for both 2.5 and 5.0 Ghz
And also on - advance - wireless signal
Enable Channel Optimization Was on, meaning a lot of the boxed were greyed out
Anyhow it now worked, I made some changes, I set broadcast signal to yes in security
I also changed some values in wireless settings.
In smart wifi
Enable Channel Optimization -------------I changed to untiicked
Disable Channel Optimization ----------------- I changed to ticked
I also have both channels set to manual.
I may be able to set these back to auto and an enable smart wifi again, but
Now I think it was just broadcasting the SID that fixed it.
But I though I tried that last night with not success!!
so pleased to have fixed this
Hope this help others with the same issue.
I maybe be able to change some setting back ie the optimisation stuff I set to manual, I think it was probably broadcasting the SID that did it, but I can play around at my leisure now that I am more confident in what I am doing!