cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 disconnecting from sky Q box

Garner09
Tuning in

Recently received the new hub4 & everything connects fine apart from the sky Q box which constantly disconnects from the wi-fi leaving us with no tv upstairs,rang virgin approx 9 times with promises of tech support ring back with no one ever calling,it further does'nt help that the app is not even upgraded to even test the hub4....getting very frustrated🤬🤬

19 REPLIES 19

No,prior to virgin supplying the hub4 as (the ultimate new system)the hub3 worked fine with the sky Q box & after requesting help from virgin non was forth coming(hours of sat waiting on phone lines) to the reason & also told i would be charged for any help although non of the problem was sky's they happily sent an engineer who promptly fixed the problem.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Correctly so, your paying sky for a TV service

A sky broadband hub that gathers the signal from the hub4 then provides a brand new login signature profile on the sky Q boxes which by-passes the security block from the virgin hub.

Ok. Strange. Had no issue with mine when I was using the Hub4 in router mode.

I had the main Q box hardwired and the mini boxes connected by Wifi/mesh back to the Q.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I had my hub4 for 2 days before going back to the hub 3. I have my q box and a mini wired to the router which worked fine on the hub3. That worked all well until I installed the Hub4, with that, it just lost the connection repeatedly saying cannot see Q box or Router (even though wired in), so clearly something in the H4 blocking the Q. It just wouldn’t support the connection between the two wired Q boxes. That’s just shocking!

on a more strange note, I have configured my H4 as an Access point and connecting via Ethernet to the SH3 which is now my main router, I’ve done so by disabling dhcp and the firewall settings. Funnily enough it now allows the SkyQ Mini to talk to the main Q box. (It’s being used as an AP with Ethernet ports of which one is connected to the Q mini) 

Is it a broadband router? Or is it a white box with an single Ethernet port on the back? If so that’s effectively a wireless bridge between Q main and Mini. 

my wireless connection between Q were fine, as that was direct between mini and Q, but it was the wired one it kept blocking. I’m convinced it’s part of the firewall or something causing the issue.

Sky man said its a security block in the hub4 so fitted a go around with a sky broadband router on loan until virgin get the glitch out of the new hub,but still poor interaction from Virgin to sort the problem they have created....

@Garner09 wrote:

Sky man said its a security block in the hub4 so fitted a go around with a sky broadband router on loan until virgin get the glitch out of the new hub,but still poor interaction from Virgin to sort the problem they have created....

I never had the issue running the hub in router mode with Sky Q.

Sounds more like an internal issue than a hub issue. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

There's quite a bit of chatter on the Sky Q forum about general connection issues with some mention of SSDP multicast rates being an issue.

Think I’ll just keep hold of the hub4 until it’s sorted then can switch out the 3 then.