cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 + AirPort Extreme - Can't acquire IP on guest network

ivanr
Joining in

Hi,

I own 3 Apple AirPort Extreme (1 master - 5 series, 1 extending - 2-series, 1 extending time capsule 6 series), connected via ethernet to the SmartHub 3. The SmartHub used in modem+router config as 2 devices can't reach the Airport.

Everything works fine except the guest network on the apple airports (any).

Essentially, a device can't acquire a private IP from the Smarthub if connected to the Airport's Guest network.

From some googling I've done a while ago, it appears that the SmartHub prevents Guest networks on downstream devices. Sounds odd to me, but after several attempts, I'm asking here. I went through all the settings of the Smarthub, but none of them appears to do the trick, not even creating a DMZ (which I wouldn't want to do anyway). 

Could switching the Smarthub to modem mode only help? If that's the case, I would have to find a workaround for the 2 devices connected directly to it.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Extreme's routing capabilities far exceed those of any VM Hub so that's the way I would run it - indeed I do 🙂

It is limited on ports on the back though, so you should just get a 5-20 ethernet unmanaged "switch" with 1GB ports. These can be had for ~£15-30 and plug that into one of the Extreme's ports after getting that set up with the Hub in modem mode.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John, the smarthub is indeed connected directly to a d-Link switch with 20 ethernet ports and 2 fibre ports. All my rooms are wired and connected to this switch. So, 2 of the airports are placed in different rooms (Ethernet) and one is in a garden room (fibre).  I avoided giving too much irrelevant detail.

I will follow your suggestion and set up the hub in modem and hopefully, my Guest network on the Airports will work this time.

Will keep you posted.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ivanr wrote:

Thanks John, the smarthub is indeed connected directly to a d-Link switch with 20 ethernet ports and 2 fibre ports. <snip>

Bear in mind if you the Hub 3 in modem mode, you will need to re-connect your switch to the first Airport.   You can only connect a single cabled Router (airport) from the Hub in modem mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks