Menu
ivanr
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 + AirPort Extreme - Can't acquire IP on guest network

Hi,

I own 3 Apple AirPort Extreme (1 master - 5 series, 1 extending - 2-series, 1 extending time capsule 6 series), connected via ethernet to the SmartHub 3. The SmartHub used in modem+router config as 2 devices can't reach the Airport.

Everything works fine except the guest network on the apple airports (any).

Essentially, a device can't acquire a private IP from the Smarthub if connected to the Airport's Guest network.

From some googling I've done a while ago, it appears that the SmartHub prevents Guest networks on downstream devices. Sounds odd to me, but after several attempts, I'm asking here. I went through all the settings of the Smarthub, but none of them appears to do the trick, not even creating a DMZ (which I wouldn't want to do anyway). 

Could switching the Smarthub to modem mode only help? If that's the case, I would have to find a workaround for the 2 devices connected directly to it.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub3 + AirPort Extreme - Can't acquire IP on guest network

The Extreme's routing capabilities far exceed those of any VM Hub so that's the way I would run it - indeed I do 🙂

It is limited on ports on the back though, so you should just get a 5-20 ethernet unmanaged "switch" with 1GB ports. These can be had for ~£15-30 and plug that into one of the Extreme's ports after getting that set up with the Hub in modem mode.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
ivanr
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John, the smarthub is indeed connected directly to a d-Link switch with 20 ethernet ports and 2 fibre ports. All my rooms are wired and connected to this switch. So, 2 of the airports are placed in different rooms (Ethernet) and one is in a garden room (fibre).  I avoided giving too much irrelevant detail.

I will follow your suggestion and set up the hub in modem and hopefully, my Guest network on the Airports will work this time.

Will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@ivanr wrote:

Thanks John, the smarthub is indeed connected directly to a d-Link switch with 20 ethernet ports and 2 fibre ports. <snip>

Bear in mind if you the Hub 3 in modem mode, you will need to re-connect your switch to the first Airport.   You can only connect a single cabled Router (airport) from the Hub in modem mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos