Menu
boroboy2
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hub3.0 red light

There is a red light on my virgin media hub 3.0 as per troubleshooter on site says overheating i have switch off to cool down for several hours done this couple times and still no change also seem to be drop in speeds any help would be appreciated thankyou

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub3.0 red light

With the device powered up, use the hole on the back to do a full reset of the device.  Let it come back on line, that sometimes permanently resolves this.  Failing that you'll need a replacement hub.  Let us know how you get on. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Nigel1971
Up to speed
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What’s going on lately with loads having red hub light issues? mines ok at the mo.

——————————————— My Broadband Ping - Virgin 500mb Home Connection
0 Kudos
boroboy2
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

red light back on after reset

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No factual idea, but my guess is that there's a small bad batch of Hubs in circulation and they are not ageing well.  Could be something as simple as poor soldering of a heat sensor or the LED, or a dodgy voltage control module, as most of these reports don't seem to be "real" overheating, but if you can't trust the indicator then it's a problem.  Worth remembering that there's around four million Hub 3's in use by VM customers, so the number of reports here are a tiny, tiny fraction of the total.

Of course, those of us running hubs in modem mode would probably never notice a red light, because other than absolutely straight on the magenta looks red.  Given that many hubs are stuffed somewhere inconspicuous, a better overheating indicator would be a piezo bleeper, but that's not the case on any VM hub, and the latest Hub 4 has bizarrely chosen purple....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@boroboy2 I've flagged this for the forum staff, they'll advise on next steps.  Might take a few hours if their other workloads are full, but its better than risking the telephone "support".

0 Kudos
boroboy2
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your'e help
0 Kudos
boroboy2
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

To be fair had this hub about 5yrs now and no trouble with it till now

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey@boroboy2,

I can see that you have ordered a new hub and this has now been activated.

Have you had any further issues since the new hub was put into service?

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos