cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 drops internet connection with mobile phones

Nod82
Joining in

Hi,

I have recently (Mon) joined VM on the 1GIG broadband and have the hub 5.

Most the devices appear to be working as they should (echo, fire stick, laptop etc) however the internet connection to my iPhone 13 Pro and my partners Pixel 7 Pro always seems to drop after a few minutes and shows no internet connection in the settings.

Has anyone else had these issues and aware of a possible solution?

I was on to VM support and was being put through to another team when the operator however they put me through and the line says they are closed and out of office hours message was on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Hero

Some Hub5 users have reported changing the WiFi Security from WPA2-PSK/WPA3-SAE to WPA2-PSK helps phones & laptops.

To do this login to the Hub5's menus at  http://192.168.0.1    ( use the Hub password from the sticker )

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Hero

Some Hub5 users have reported changing the WiFi Security from WPA2-PSK/WPA3-SAE to WPA2-PSK helps phones & laptops.

To do this login to the Hub5's menus at  http://192.168.0.1    ( use the Hub password from the sticker )

Thanks. I’ve now got an engineer coming tomorrow morning.

Thanks but I was literally sat next to the router. They are sending an engineer tomorrow morning for me 

A recent Hub 5 defect was the 2.4GHz WiFi failed to operate - i.e. no signal at all.

It might be educational to put a WiFi Analyser app on your mobile phone and have a look at what the Hub 5 is transmitting.

Using the WiFi Analyser check if the Hub 5 is transmitting on 2.4Ghz and / or on 5Ghz.   If it is not the Hub 5 is defective.

Had an engineer come this morning and still has the same issue 😞

I’ve checked the security and already is WPA2-PSK. When I’ve looked at the router and what connection the mobiles have on the wifi it is 5GHz - I can’t see that it changed to 2.4GHz.

Any other ideas 😞

Typically a 2.4/5Ghz capable mobile does favour the 5Ghz signal if it is close or in line of sign of the Hub.

Using a WiFi analyser app on a mobile phone ( free from the app / play store ) , check if the Hub 5 is transmitting on 2.4Ghz. 

In the end I have tried this by turning off each GHz and having only the one off. Also the optimisation was off.

So far I can connect with the 2.4GHz and it seems to maintain connection…. but is a lot slower…. and my partners phone now won’t connect 🤷🏻‍♂️

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Nod82 wrote:

In the end I have tried this by turning off each GHz and having only the one off. Also the optimisation was off.

So far I can connect with the 2.4GHz and it seems to maintain connection…. but is a lot slower…. and my partners phone now won’t connect 🤷🏻‍♂️

Disable channel optimisation

Try the Hub 5 setup as per this screenshot at message #6 below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Connection-Surface-Pro-Laptops/m-p/4912968

Gave that a try and it still dropped the connection to the internet quite quickly.