cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 keeps resetting wi fi defaults

guilbert
Dialled in

Moved to 1G broadband a month ago and got a Hub 4.

After getting it all working I changed the default wi fi SSID and password as all the devices we have are set up to use the wi fi logon details we had on the previous router.

But in the last month the Hub 4 router has rebooted itself (on its own) 5 times and taken the router back to its default SSID and password.

At first of course we just think wi fi has gone down so switch the router on and off.

But when we then try to connect a device we find that our "new" SSID is NOT listed but the default SSID name IS listed.

I then have to logon to the router and change the SSID and password.

If I am in the house then this is of course fairly easy for me to do, but if I am out the house none of my family would have any idea how to change the SSID so they are stuck with it till I come home. 

Any reason our Hub 4 is doing this as it is rather annoying.

156 REPLIES 156

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi urbanfly,

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community!

Really sorry for all the issues caused, rest assured our team are attempting to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Take care,

Kain

I've got the same problem.

What timeline is there for an updated firmware release? The last information was 3 weeks ago.

To say I'm **bleep** off is an understatement. 

Hi jglavery,

Thanks for posting, and sorry you are affected by this.

As advised in the thread it is being investigated. You could try a factory reset of the hub in the meantime.

Alex_Rm

joshua_w1
On our wavelength

Hi all, aware this issue and a solution has been identified, just wanted to add my name to the list of people it is affecting.

It only just started happening last night and now the hub keeps restarting to default settings every few hours. Pretty difficult to deal with as I work from home. The Hub 4 is also brand new, was installed by an engineer in March - quite disappointing. 

Any update on firmware rollout time scale? 

Thanks and best 

Josh

Hi joshua_w1

Right now we don't have access to the time scale for any firmware updates 

Can I please ask what firmware you are currently on 

Gareth_L

drmouse
Joining in

Just want to add myself to the list of users with this issue.

I have both 2.4G and 5G details set to the same, my own SSID and PSK. Every week or so, the 2.4G resets itself to the factory default SSID and PSK, while the 5G remains as I have set it. As my phone, laptop etc connect via 5G, I only notice when the doorbell (Ring) doesn't go off or Alexa starts misbehaving. At this point, I must log in and change the details again to match.

This has been happening since I got the Hub 4 (several months ago). I have been intending to raise it, but life got in the way lol. I am hoping this can be fixed quickly as it is a regular irritation with what is otherwise a fantastic service.

Hi drmouse

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. We appreciate you wanting to be added to the list. We're happy that your services are great majority of the time apart from the annoying default. As our moderators have advised we are getting this issues investigated, unfortunately, we can't give you a precise timeframe for this. 

We do apologise for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience.

Kind regards Jodi. 

stuart264
On our wavelength

Add me to the list too, is there a date for the firmware rollout or can you issue a patch just to fix this one issue?

I too need to be added to this list and it is extremely annoying. I am paying over £70 for a service, that since it has been installed back in November 2021, has not been working properly. The WiFi is horrendous, constantly resetting itself as others have said. Mainly on the 2.4ghz side where the SSID name and password keep defaulting back to standard. I go to work at 5am and every morning my nest thermostat is reporting no internet connection, my WiFI socket adapters are all flashing and so I turn the Hub 4 off, get my breakfast, turn it back on and leave the house so the rest of the family can have it working when they wake up. This is happening on a DAILY basis!!!!!!

We have had three engineer callouts and each time I have asked for a new hub to be installed and each time they have blamed it on external network issues. I keep saying to the engineers how does an external network issue affect the WiFi and all they keep saying is that it is all interlinked and when something goes wrong outside it can affect inside. I stated this was utter baloney and I can't see how this is the case but now after reading these comments I can see that this is clearly a hardware issue and something Virgin know oh too well, which probably would explain why all the engineers that have been here have been very reluctant to replace the Hub as they probably know deep down that replacing it isn't going to change anything.

I therefore want to reach out to Virgin and say that I would like to have some form of a refund, backdated to November 2021, for the issues I have been having with the service, and I also would like an update, just like everyone else, on when this fix is going to happen. Since stumbling on this community post this evening, it is very clear that Virgin know there is an issue with their service and yet happy to charge me full whack for it which is just not on and basically fraudulent!!!!!!

GillyAnn466
Tuning in

So from my post on the 31st Jan we are now 2 days away from May. Since being offered the trial of the hub 5 in December (up from a hub 3). I have now been stuck with a Hub 4 and this issue since they took my hub 5 away in the last week of Jan. Even though I was promised another Hub 5 to replace the trial one that didn't work. Are we any closer to getting either a firmware update rolled out or at least having it replaced with the Hub 5 as I was quite happy with my Hub 3 until they offered me the 5.