cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 keeps resetting WiFi network name (SSID)

cwatki123
Tuning in

Virgin Media sent me a Hub 4 a month or so ago, so far everything seems ok, it's more reliable than my Hub 3. However one issue I'm having is the WiFi network name (SSID) and password keeps resetting to the original factory network name and password every time the router is powered off and on, so none of my devices will connect. I have to go into the router admin and change it back again. Obviously I don't switch my router off very often so it isn't a huge problem. But in a power cut whilst I was out of the house the router went off, rebooted, network named changed, and then I wasn't able to turn off my home burglar alarm using my phone as I normally do. It also messed up my heating controls. It happened again when I had builders in the other day and they had to unplug the router, and my parents were housesitting, so they couldn't connect their phones to the internet (they aren't very technically savvy) until I got home. Also, since the Virgin Connect app doesn't work with the Hub 4 it's not the easiest process to keep resetting it. 

OK, it's not the end of the world, but it's pretty frustrating and inconvenient. 

Does anybody know how I can solve this?

9 REPLIES 9

g0akc
Problem sorter

Sounds like a bug - there have been a number of similar reports on here.  Maybe it will get fixed sooner or later in a firmware update if VM progress it.

• Try a factory reset then re-enter (reconfigure) the changes
  • Can you use the default SSID for your devices?  I guess you may have 'split' them to overcome other issues?
  • Look at getting your own Wi-Fi equipment and use the hub in modem mode

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi cwatki123,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with the router. 

I have been able to locate your account and do wish to look into this further. 

What I will do is private message you so can we can look into this. 

^Martin

Hey Guys

My router does exactly the same, very irritating.

Every time we have a power outage I have to reset all the wifi settings again.

Has this been fixed with a maintenance patch?

Cheerio

Chris

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi houghtoncr

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues similar to the original poster. 

How often has this issue occurred please? Do you have the same problem when powering down the equipment?

Thanks 

Nat

I'm also getting this issue. It's so frustrating.

Why give the option to change the network name if its just going to reset to the default all the time.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think the root cause of this is having smart/intelligent WiFi active.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi @ryanwillz3088,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear you're having some issues with your Wi-Fi network name resetting. Can you confirm when it resets for you? Does this happen when you power it off and back on? Have you split the SSIDs?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Each time it powers down it resets the wifi - ip range - master password etc.

In order to fix this I have switched it to modem mode and purchased an ORBI box to do wifi. 

Very disappointing.

Cheerio

Chris

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for coming back and updating us on things. 

We're sorry to hear you've needed to purchase a third party router to stop the settings from resetting. 

We will feed this back to the relevant teams. 

If you have any further issues, please pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs