cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 changing SSID’s back to default

Jayhub4
Tuning in

Hi there!

Ive recently been upgraded to the Hub 4. Really enjoying it. Much better speeds and signal strength throughout the home now the issue! I’ve changed my SSID’s (WiFi name and passwords)  over to my own personal ones and separated them 2.4 and 5ghz. Now it keeps on changing the 2.4ghz back to the original. When I’ve logged into the settings page the up time is a low time meaning that it’s rebooting its self and changing ONLY the 2.4 back to the original. Bad thing is my home security is on the 2.4 so it’s all being disconnected without me realising.

I understand the most common answer being I should just use the default SSID for the 2.4 but I’ve got a ton of smart home devices so they’ll have to be setup again so looking for an easy fix.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for reading!

192 REPLIES 192

@Richard785 firstly I can guarantee you that you were not talking to the technical department at all. You were speaking to a call centre worker on what passes for minimum wage in that part of the world, who was poorly trained and disinterested in your issue. If fact I’d be slightly surprised if they had even seen a VM hub other than pictures!

It has been reported on here so many times now by different people that it has to have a degree of truth to it, that if in doubt (and this just means there isn’t a menu item on their screen for this particular issue) they just make something up, or outright lie. Now whether this is mandated by the people running the call centres or something that the workers there just do of their own accord, is debatable. Either way it has the desired (well at least from their perspective) effect of getting the annoying customer off the phone and they chalk up another closed call.

In short, as you have probably concluded yourself, the hub being designed to reset its SSID is simply a load of made up nonsense.

Similarly there have been multiple cases reported of this phenomena, along with its close cousin, the Ethernet ports deciding to only work at 100 Meg, so it is clear that a proportion of the Hub 4s do have some kind of defect. I would hazard a guess that some may have been manufactured with wrongly spec’ed components and coupled with a, well shall we say, not exactly bullet proof firmware, which overall adds up to a product which could be described as the PoundLand, basic essentials, own brand of the router world!

And, in VMs defence, that is probably good enough for the vast majority of their customers who never change anything, use WiFi only and literally just use it as is. In addition, I suspect that the bulk of users who intend to do more with their network and have more control will simply put the thing immediately into modem mode and use their own equipment.

Which just leaves a small subset of users, like yourselves, who fall between the two camps. Honestly, should you have to get your own kit to compensate for the inadequacies of the suppliers? Of course the answer is no!

But for your own sanity, piece of mind and freedom from call customer services on a regular basis, it is certainly the best option.

Richard785
On our wavelength

Going to call again tomorrow.

Going to make myself a pest, until we get a fix

Ad_The_Pad
On our wavelength

I used to run my hub3 in modem only with my eero pro’s. Until I decided to smarten my stupid house up. Some of these things are a bit picky and didn’t like connecting to the 2.4 on the erro’s. Hence why i only run that on the VM router. It was fine on the hub3. Hub4? Its ok till it resets again. Im seriously thinking about going to EE here. When all is well VM is fantastic!! When it goes wrong at 3am, i just want to launch it out the window!!

Hi @Richard785

Thank you for the post

Sorry to hear about your issue, have you tried a pinhole reset of the hub and then proceeding to set the SSID's up after this?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@Travis_M wrote:

Hi @Richard785

Thank you for the post

Sorry to hear about your issue, have you tried a pinhole reset of the hub and then proceeding to set the SSID's up after this?

Regards

Is this a joke?  Have you read the thread or his previous posts?

Surely you must a) know that a pinhole reset does nothing for this issue and b) he had been fighting with it for quite a while and has been posting here many times. 

HAHA, I can’t believe the pin hole was suggested AGAIN!! 

I'm sure someone who did the firmware is finding this funny you get to the trouble of splitting the SSID and you expect that I coded the hub so you can put them back together again? VM don't pay me enough just do a reset.
---------------------------------------------------------------

You are joking me.

That was to Travis_M

What a joke this forum is