cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 changing SSID’s back to default

Jayhub4
Tuning in

Hi there!

Ive recently been upgraded to the Hub 4. Really enjoying it. Much better speeds and signal strength throughout the home now the issue! I’ve changed my SSID’s (WiFi name and passwords)  over to my own personal ones and separated them 2.4 and 5ghz. Now it keeps on changing the 2.4ghz back to the original. When I’ve logged into the settings page the up time is a low time meaning that it’s rebooting its self and changing ONLY the 2.4 back to the original. Bad thing is my home security is on the 2.4 so it’s all being disconnected without me realising.

I understand the most common answer being I should just use the default SSID for the 2.4 but I’ve got a ton of smart home devices so they’ll have to be setup again so looking for an easy fix.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for reading!

192 REPLIES 192

That’s an extremely long time for a fix for a problem first reported on other threads over a year ago, and this thread coming up to a year ago.

Does this reply now mean that you DO acknowledge there actually IS a problem and that it hasn’t been addressed or fixed as of yet?

I do appreciate your frustration with this savvychels. I can confirm that this issue has been raised under the reference: F009629413

We've chased our support team for an update on this and will let you know as soon as we hear back.

We appreciate all your patience with this.

Beth

Add me to the list of unhappy customers. How can this not be fixed yet! 

The workaround is not a proper answer to the problem that’s been around for over a year!

shaun-paul
On our wavelength

Same issue same excuses. My Ring CCTV had gone down again today as the router has randomly reset my PW. 

Hi all!

We are so sorry that you are effected by this issue, the previously mentioned fault is still active and our teams are still working on this.

We are so sorry that this is taking a while and we understand how frustrating this must be but we are doing all we can to get this resolved and we will update this thread as soon as we have an answer. 

Thank you.

Also not sure if anyone mentioned it, but the WiFi pods will not operate without the Intelligent WiFi setting switched on (which is what Virgin suggest turning off to combat the SSID naming issue).

So switching one thing off to fix the SSID naming results in no WiFi boosters operating and flashing the light white/off permanently, as I've found out.

How long will it be before this is sorted, roughly? I can't believe it's still an ongoing issue 😩

Hi,

I’ve just signed up for VM and setup the Hub 4. Encountered the bizarre behaviour that the 2.4 network was defaulting back to the original SSID. Tried rebooting/resetting and eventually found my way to this forum.

It’s completely unacceptable that VM have an open fault on hardware for this long. Understand there is workarounds that involve disabling features of the hub, but this surely should have only been proposed as a temporary solution while an update is rolled out. The fact customers are actively being directed to do this several months after the fault was raised is incredibly poor.

This fault causes my home security and cameras to go offline. If I was away from home it renders them useless. The fact VM thinks this is acceptable for their customers is beyond belief. 

Can someone provide an update on the fault and it’s expected resolution? I’m still under the cooling off period, so considering cancelling and going back to BT. 

Thanks.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Rodonovan, 

Thank you for your post.

I am so sorry you are having this issue.

We are currently working on this firmware update. If you have done a pinhole reset and this issue still persists then it is a firmware issue. A workaround is a third party router at this moment.

Zoi

Ad_The_Pad
On our wavelength

Ive been having the same issue. I only use my hub 4 to run my 2.4 only smart items, which includes cctv. I use an eero pro for everything else. Surely VM can find a work around for this. I have 1 of my echo flex being used on the vm 2.4 network and when the vm router resets the ssid, i get Alexa shouting “YOU ARE NO LONGER CONNECTED “ at 4am!! I had the exact same setup on my hub 3 without any problems. Just to add, i have been trying work arounds since the day i got this thing to no avail. Ive been a vm customer for years. But apparently im in a contract for having this hub 4, but as its not doing what its supposed to do, im sure this makes the contract void! Especially when ee are begging me to have their 900mb/s BB for £18 a month less than i am paying now for vm 500mb.

@Ad_The_Pad 

VM have indeed acknowledged and found a work around for this as per @Zoie_P  message above. Said work around is to purchase your own router, on the (implied) assumption and apparent acceptance by a VM employee that the VM offering is broken and doesn’t work!

You might, or might not want to consider that as evidence should you want to escalate this to the industry regulator.

Just saying…..