Menu
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 and smart plugs

I suggest Virgin Media (and their supplier, Arris?) role here is to ensure that their Hub is compatible with a wide range of devices including popular smart plugs.” - Completely WRONG.

They should abide by the relevant standards, which a lot of the cheap Chinese equipment manufacturers do not. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
maybedaisy
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Surely Virgin have an obligation to warn people that the Hub 4 is incompatible with smart plugs. I have several that worked fine with the Hub2 but no longer work. In addition my Hive door sensors won't connect so its no just cheap smart plugs.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 13 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@maybedaisy wrote:

Surely Virgin have an obligation to warn people that the Hub 4 is incompatible with smart plugs. I have several that worked fine with the Hub2 but no longer work. In addition my Hive door sensors won't connect so its no just cheap smart plugs.

How though with so many on the market?

And the Hive door sensors connect to the Hive Hub which is cabled direct to the Virgin hub. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
JohnFourty
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I had my Hub 4 installed on Saturday and had exactly the same problems.

I have found a solution for anyone who has the Virgin WiFi Boosters, which I believe are free to most top package customers.

Setup the Boosters as normal and login to the booster admin page either by IP address or http://virginmedia-vmp.

Change the 2.4ghz SSID to something new (I added IoT to the end of the name).

Disable 5ghz.

Setup your smart plugs and lights using the new SSID.

Re-enable 5Ghz.

Ta da 😁

0 Kudos
maybedaisy
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The Hive door sensors are managed via Alexa over wifi not via the Hive hub. They worked fine prior to the Hub swap. 

0 Kudos