cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 and Sky Q issue

Pyrotechnic
On our wavelength

Ive recently been given an upgrade to a Hit 4 and installation went as easy as it could. I spent the time required to connect everything and all works well, except my Sky Q set up. 

I connect to it all OK and then if my children want to watch a YouTube video or Netflix, I find that it hangs half way through. I then go to check the connection and see it has crosses. I then have to go through set up and enter the password each time. When it loses connection, the rest of our devices are fine. It just seems to be a Sky Q issue. Never had an issue until I changed the hub, so inclined to think its a setting or similar rather that a Sky Q issue. Hub 3 worked flawlessly for years, but I've sent it back now. 

Any advice much appreciated. 

25 REPLIES 25

Yep. A hell of a lot. Couldn’t get it to stay connected at all. Just constantly dropped the connection. Put the hub3 back on, reset Q and then mini, and just worked.

I have however set up there hub4 as an access point, my SkyQ Mini connects via Ethernet to it (along with some other stuff) that connects to powerline, with the other end connected to the hub3. All working as they should be and I now have another wifi zone. But either way. Not happy with either product. WiFi on hub3 is garbage. And to be honest no better on the 4. 

@RelieveBoredum wrote:

Yep. A hell of a lot. Couldn’t get it to stay connected at all. Just constantly dropped the connection. Put the hub3 back on, reset Q and then mini, and just worked.

I have however set up there hub4 as an access point, my SkyQ Mini connects via Ethernet to it (along with some other stuff) that connects to powerline, with the other end connected to the hub3. All working as they should be and I now have another wifi zone. But either way. Not happy with either product. WiFi on hub3 is garbage. And to be honest no better on the 4. 

Why do you want to Ethernet cable the mini? It connects back to the main Q box via the mesh network it creates. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

It’s not close enough to sustain a mesh network with the Q. Even with sky’s wireless booster it doesn’t work. Ethernet does on the H3, doesn’t on the H4, clearly something amiss with the H4.

I have this exact issue. I have just upgraded to 1GB and have the new hub 4 and now my sky Q box and 2 mini boxes keep losing connection. It is a joke.  Have split the bands but it makes no difference. I tried calling Virgin customer services and after being on hold for nearly an hour I then get told I need to be put through to a second tier department. I was on hold again for nearly another hour but had to hang up due to going to work. I have literally spent 3 days trying to resolve the problem but nothing works. I had no problems with the Hub 3. This will leave me no choice but to downgrade again before I get trapped in another 18 month contract. This is not acceptable and the queuing times are pathetic. It is not possible to connect via Ethernet. 

@Dazzasky2001 wrote:

I have this exact issue. I have just upgraded to 1GB and have the new hub 4 and now my sky Q box and 2 mini boxes keep losing connection. It is a joke.  Have split the bands but it makes no difference. I tried calling Virgin customer services and after being on hold for nearly an hour I then get told I need to be put through to a second tier department. I was on hold again for nearly another hour but had to hang up due to going to work. I have literally spent 3 days trying to resolve the problem but nothing works. I had no problems with the Hub 3. This will leave me no choice but to downgrade again before I get trapped in another 18 month contract. This is not acceptable and the queuing times are pathetic. It is not possible to connect via Ethernet. 

Why can’t you connect the main Q box by Ethernet?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Because the hub is not near my Sky Q box