cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 upgrade

dazmoz66
Tuning in

I have tried for the last 4 hours to apply to upgrade my hub 1. I have two upstairs rooms that get no WiFi at all. I cannot get boosters unless through virgin connect and Connect and can't use connect because I don't have a hub 3. The upgrade link in the autobot just links back to itself and the upgrade page goes to a page with no further links. I am tearing what little hair I have out as I am getting nowhere. Get in touch with anybody and they don't respond they just send you links that take you to the same dead end. I need this sorting or will be cancelling and getting broadband that can be used in the whole house. And I only live In a 2 up 2 down so not expecting much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You can wait here I'm sure you can get a hub 3 even if used but wifi might not be any better.

Or you can put the hub in modem mode and get your own router with 1Gb ports.

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You can wait here I'm sure you can get a hub 3 even if used but wifi might not be any better.

Or you can put the hub in modem mode and get your own router with 1Gb ports.

---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The SH1 is a museum piece - it cannot transmit the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks simultaneously so for modern usage - its useless. You can only get the fastest of connections on modern devices when on the 5GHz band whilst a lot of devices are still 2.4 only.

That alone means it is not fit for purpose. A VM person should respond on here and offer a swap for you.

Alternatively, call in and ask for the "free" upgrade as you now want to connect on both frequencies.

If that doesn't get past the script of the offshore CS agents then wait here for a day or two for a VM person should organise it. Of course if it is somehow mysteriously not working, then the CS agent will just send the Hub3 out.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You might get a Hub 3, but because VM have fluffed their supply chain they've run out of hubs, and possibly you'll get a Superhub 2ac.  That's better than a Superhub 1, but it'll still be a six year old antique, and won't support the pods (boosters) VM currently offer.  Since you're using a Superhub 1 I'm guessing that you aren't on the Ultimate Oomph package?  If that's the case and you do get a Hub 3 and still want a couple of pods, they'll be rented to you at £5 a month each.  At a tenner a month that soon adds up to the price of buying a pretty competent mesh wifi system outright.

So several chained "if" statements there, but make sure you don't agree any contract change with VM until after you've seen what replacement hub you get and how well it works, because any change and then you'll be locked in for another 18 months.  

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Andrew is correct. You could just keep the SH1, stick it in modem mode and get your own better quality router and wireless equipment. Hold out for the free swap but...

£50-100 should sort it forever for you - it sorted me >20 years ago 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi dazmoz66, thanks for getting in touch. 

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had with WiFi. It is an old bitof kit you have, if you'd like us to look into a replacement for you I'd be happy to do that. Just sent me a PM confirming your account details and we'll take it from there.

Tom 

Account no removed area 20

removed

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi dazmoz66, sorry for any confusion - we can only confirm your account details via PM. Just look out for my private message (the purple envelope symbol) and we'll take it from there.

Tom 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to me dazmoz66. I've had to arrange a visit from an engineer as a quick-start order wasn't available on this occasion. You will find confirmation of the appointment  via your online account (virg.in/myVM) and can reschedule from there if needed.

Please let us know how you get on, or if there's anything else we can help with.

Tom 

All sorted now. Just the fun and games of reconnecting all the Google and smart plugs and lights to a new network. These things never like change😊.