cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 not working in Modem Mode

njhaigh
Tuning in

I have 350mbps fibre from Virgin and have the Hub 3. Wi-Fi on these units are ridiculously poor so I purchased a TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh system with 3 nodes. 1 connected directly to the Virgin hub then the other 2 on separate floors connects to the main Deco unit.
Ideally you set the Virgin hub into modem mode and the Deco’s take care of the rest.
But the moment I set the hub settings into modem mode, it kicks me out and can’t log back in again (using the default factory password etc) I then lose all internet. I cave no internet even hard wired into the virgin box with Ethernet. The only way I get any internet is to still have the Virgin hub in router mode.

But I am only reaching speeds of 100mbps through the Deco’s which are supposed to be capable of greater speeds than the package I am on with Virgin.

I have read a lot of tips etc in many forums as other have experiences the same but they seem to get theirs fixed with a simple change of QoS settings in the Deco app, changing from a cap or 100mbps to 1000mbps. But they are also able to access the modem mode on the hub, which I cannot. 

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What exact devices are you using to connect on the wifi. What Mac model is it ?

How far from the first Deco unit are you testing speeds on - that is - if you sit right next to the first unit what speeds do you get on what devices?

How are you testing speeds - a browser, App, ? At what site. I always test in a browser at...

https://speedtest.samknows.com/

There will always be speed drops over every "hop" on the M4's as they are not triband - so the "backhaul" is using the bandwidth - you could reduce that by connecting them by ethernet cables.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I have a TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh system connected to A Virgin Media Hub 3, my package is 350mbps fibre broadband.

I have tested the speeds via Ethernet (on a 2017 iMac) and Wi-Fi on a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro and iPhone 12 Pro, as well as a Samsung S10.

using various speed test sites including Ookla (speedtest.com and the dedicated app), broadbandspeedchecker.com, fast.com and virgins own.

I have tried all 3 floors in my house as well as sitting right next to the router, using various cat5e/6 Ethernet cables and Wi-Fi.

all pretty much achieve the same speed apart from the expected speed via Ethernet cable at 350mbps, the rest have achieved on average 177mbps.