cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 modem mode no longer working

markytaz
Joining in

Since the planned maintenance work on Monday 10th Jan, my Hub 3 has stopped working when in modem mode. 

The device displays a constant red light, its in a ventilated place and is cool to touch, and if i do a hard reset and return it back to being a router it connects to the internet, but if i switch it back in to modem mode, i get a flashing white light, followed by a flashing green light, then green and the two arrows, then red arrows and finally a solid red light.

No issues prior to the 10th, and ive read somewhere on the help pages only certain hubs are modem mode compatible, how can i check mine is?

20 REPLIES 20

Hi zach as previously posted the hub is well ventilated and ive followed the reset guides multiple times with no sucess

@markytaz wrote:

Hi zach as previously posted the hub is well ventilated and ive followed the reset guides multiple times with no sucess

Something is amiss with your setup then. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi @markytaz,

Thank you for confirming. I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments so we can take some additional details and investigate further.

Please respond to this at your earliest convenience and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi @markytaz,

Thank you for getting back to me via private message so I could investigate further.

As discussed, I have now arranged for a technician visit to come and take a closer look at what's going on for you. I'm unable to confirm the date/time of the booking publicly, but you can manage and reschedule the appointment if needed via your My Virgin Media online account.

Let us know how the visit goes.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

So the engineer came out, replaced the hub and got the same issue i had been experiencing.

Eventually without any changes he got it working by removing the ethernet cable, turning the box off and on again and when the purple light appeared then plug in the ethernet cable. He did think something is wrong as all 4 ports appear to be active when only port 1 should be, and if you change the device the ethernet cable is connected too it disconnects the internet.

Engineer gone away to seek further advice as he thinks it could be an issue with a hub update.

Will update this thread if anything comes from the engineer 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When in modem mode, LED magenta, all four ports are active, but you can only plug in one device your own router. You can get routers that support round-robin aggregation and you can then plug up to 4 cables into the Hub3 from that type of router, but you still have one device connected.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@markytaz wrote:

So the engineer came out, replaced the hub and got the same issue i had been experiencing.

Eventually without any changes he got it working by removing the ethernet cable, turning the box off and on again and when the purple light appeared then plug in the ethernet cable. He did think something is wrong as all 4 ports appear to be active when only port 1 should be, and if you change the device the ethernet cable is connected too it disconnects the internet.

Engineer gone away to seek further advice as he thinks it could be an issue with a hub update.

Will update this thread if anything comes from the engineer 

What you describe is what I would expect.  I was going to suggest that you unplugged your router, power cycle the hub and then plug the router in again.

In these circumstances you need to go through the bootp/DHCP request process to request an IP address/lease from the VM DHCP server, which is in the VM network. That basically means booting up 'all' the kit and connecting afresh.

If you change the device plugged into the hub (which could be a laptop, PC, router, 'layer 3' switch or whatever) you will likely need to go through the process again.  The DHCP server will 'examine' the MAC address of the device and assign a public IP address partly based on that.

As already mentioned, only one device can be connected (so one port in most cases) but, for the hub 3 at least,  any port of the 4 can be used, and they can be combined where the device supports aggregation.

A customer may only ever use the VM broadband line with one device - say a laptop - and only have that single device plugged in - to any of the 4 Ethernet ports.

I guess the VM technician was not familiar with that and it's probably all out of scope for most of the installations that he/she attends to.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Their can be problems if VM DHCP server is setup to be fussy or maybe a update to the hubs 192.168.100.x temp startup is to blame.

So try this hub in modem mode power off for 2mins connect a laptop power on hub you may either get 192.168.100.x as temp or 169 after 5mins unplug the Ethernet and plug it back in to force DHCP to get a WAN IP to happen and that should work.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for coming back to us @markytaz.

Have the tips from the community members helped or has the engineer come back with more information or useful about your issues?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi, I have the exact same problem as the user who posted this thread. With an asus router and modem mode. Can you help?