Menu
Simonashley89
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 continually drops out - Please help

Hi All,

I hope everyone is safe and well. I am having an absolute nightmare with my virgin media Hub 3 router. We moved into our flat in feb and everything was running perfectly. The last 2-3 months i'd say we have spells where the router just disconnects from every device that is using the wifi, it will be for like 30seconds and then everything reconnects again. Wired connections are fine. When it drops out the power light stays white, sometimes it shows the green wifi light flashing at the top and other times it doesn't.

I contacted Virgin when it originally started to happen and was advised to change my 2.4ghz to show 20/40 from the options. Once I did that it worked fine for a while but then after a certain amount of time things seem to just go back to normal. I've read other topics and have tried other things such as disable the smart wifi option. I have also as recently as this morning changed the channel that the 2.4 was operating on to channel 11 and just no luck. Our mobile phones weren't even connecting at all at one point and wifi network wasn't showing up. My partner is also working from home and her work laptop was using the wifi but continually dropping out.

I am getting beyond frustrated. I'd really appreciate any help? Is there a setting that maybe I'm not using properly or is it just a case of the Hub 3 is temperamental like this?

Many thanks In advance,

Simon

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 continually drops out - Please help

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Blockage (visible) …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls, flooring / ceilings.

Interference (invisible) …

Cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

My VM Hub 3 Wi-Fi went into meltdown when the local authority / police CCTV camera on the lamppost adjacent to my house was used.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Simonashley89
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

thanks for the quick reply. Any suggestions on decent alternative products?

So there isn't any optimal settings I can do within my wireless signal option that will maybe get thing working again?

Many thanks,
Simon

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I use a Netgear R8000P, it gives excellent coverage through my very old, big, stone built with thick internal old brick walls along with large chimney breasts.

As for recommendations, only you know the ...

Budget,

Environment,

Workload the device will have to support.

Have a read of online PC and Networking mags to get an idea.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Simonashley89
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks for that. Can I be a pain and ask so what if I don't want to go the route of buying a piece of equipment and want to try adjust the router setting to make things work, what are my options?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Simonashley89 wrote:

Ok thanks for that. Can I be a pain and ask so what if I don't want to go the route of buying a piece of equipment and want to try adjust the router setting to make things work, what are my options?

Gritting your teeth and living with forever poor wifi? 🙂

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3, Hub 4 is similar.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name [SSID] > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name [SSID] > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub then reboot using this method ...

Switch the Hub off using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord and pull the PSU plug from the wall socket.

Give it a good 5 minutes put the plug back in and switch the Hub back on.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then try your Wi-Fi again.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

When you connect the devices do it at the furthest point from the Hub that the device will be used.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

Simonashley89
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

haha this one made me laugh Gary! I'll have no teeth left!
0 Kudos
Simonashley89
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Mike that's great help I think I will give that a try. Can you recommend which channels to use? Or should I just leave that part alone?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Simonashley89 wrote:

Thank you Mike that's great help I think I will give that a try. Can you recommend which channels to use? Or should I just leave that part alone?

As I said ...

"When you connect the devices do it at the furthest point from the Hub that the device will be used.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz."

0 Kudos