cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 cellular/TV interference?

Tom41
Up to speed

Since installing my new Virgin Hub 3, cellular reception in this house has been pretty bad. Not only that, but pretty much all Freeview channels are breaking up or saying 'no signal'. Does the Hub 3 use cellular data at all? Could the 5GHz be somehow interfering with Freeview reception?

2 REPLIES 2

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Tom41 wrote:

Since installing my new Virgin Hub 3, cellular reception in this house has been pretty bad. Not only that, but pretty much all Freeview channels are breaking up or saying 'no signal'. Does the Hub 3 use cellular data at all? Could the 5GHz be somehow interfering with Freeview reception?

The hub 3 (none of the VM Hubs afaik) does not use cellular data.  Some ISPs including BT bundle a cellular back up for resilience, but the hub 3 doesn't have that as standard.  The data comes over the broadband cable connection.

Whilst it's possible there is some sort of EMC (interference) issue it would be unusual.  Our hub 3 doesn't affect our cellular service nor our Freeview that we use in addition to Virgin TV.

What setup do you have?  What aerial are you using for the Freeview reception?  Is that on the roof/in the loft or in the room?

Do Freeview reception and mobile coverage improve if you turn the hub off?

How close are boxes to each other?  Are all cable connections good? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

I unplugged the Hub from the mains and left it for a while, and the Freeview did not improve at all - so that's unlikely to be the culprit. We have a roof aerial, amplifier and several aerial points that are all down, so I think the next logical step would be to get someone in to look at the aerial system. This is not a VM issue though, so I'll not discuss it on this board.