Menu
HarveyRacing
Tuning in
Message 11 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 and Netgear Nighthawk X8 AC5300

Yeah the white cable from the wall splits, I have the coax (labelled broadband) and it splits with Ethernet (labelled Ethernet) which was plugged into port 1. 

Photo: https://postimg.cc/n9VvjNmp

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Somethings either not right with the setup of the Netgear or you’re not following the steps correctly 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
HarveyRacing
Tuning in
Message 13 of 22
Flag for a moderator

It’s driving me insane. I thought it might be a Netgear issue as well because why would the same Ethernet cable provide internet directly to my PC otherwise? But I’ve factory reset the Netgear and confirmed that DHCP is enabled on the WAN Ethernet port, so I’m at an absolute loss what else to try. 

I’ll try your steps again but I have followed them to the letter. There’s not anything else I need to configure on the router other than the net connection and obviously I can’t do that without the net connection as per your instructions. 

0 Kudos
HarveyRacing
Tuning in
Message 14 of 22
Flag for a moderator

To confirm, just turned the Hub off in modem only mode, connected the Ethernet directly into my PC, turned back on and waited 5 mins and my PC has internet fine. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 15 of 22
Flag for a moderator

So it’s the router then not configured correctly.

Unless you’re plugging in the router after connecting something else first?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
HarveyRacing
Tuning in
Message 16 of 22
Flag for a moderator

What else would I need to configure on the router?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 17 of 22
Flag for a moderator

How have you set it up?

0 Kudos
HarveyRacing
Tuning in
Message 18 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I’ve just left it to defaults. Automatically assign IP, etc. I don’t know what else I’d need to configure other than the internet connection itself (which needs an internet connection to do so). 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 19 of 22
Flag for a moderator

You’re plugging from the WAN port of the Netgear (not LAN) to the bottom port of the hub?

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 20 of 22
Flag for a moderator

My old Netgear Nighthawk R7000 works with my Hub 3 and worked my previous Superhub 2 without any issue, just plug and go, but some of the newer Nighthawks seem a bit more temperamental.  This thread is similar to your issue:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Netgear-Nighthawk-AX8/m-p/4171809

However it shows no clear resolution other than changing some settings on the Nighthawk seemed to fix it.

The cable setup in your picture is weird as only one Ethernet port can be active in modem mode and I have never seen an Ethernet cable taped to the coax cable before.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos