cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 LAN port query in modem mode

CarpingDad
Tuning in

I've set up a Tenda Mesh system as my WiFi range was poor using the hub 3.0 router.

I switch the hub to modem mode first and plugged in the new router but it wouldn't connect to the net. I had a pc and smart TV plugged into the hub 3 LANSs. 

The new router only connects if nothing else is plugged into the modems LAN sockets.

Q: when in modem mode, can I still connect Ethernet cables to other devices to the hub in modem mode? Or can I only connect the new Tenda router??

Thanks guys for any help

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Only to the Tenda router if you need more ports get a switch to the Tenda router
---------------------------------------------------------------

ozsat
Superstar

If you switch the Hub3 to a modem then only one LAN port will work which is the one you connect to your own router.

If you switch the Hub3 to router mode then all four LAN ports will work and you can put you own router into one of those. But the two will be different networks!

I think want you want if the Hub3 in modem mode with it's single connection going to your own router. If you need more LAN ports then get a switch as suggested.

@CarpingDad wrote:

I've set up a Tenda Mesh system as my WiFi range was poor using the hub 3.0 router.

I switch the hub to modem mode first and plugged in the new router but it wouldn't connect to the net. I had a pc and smart TV plugged into the hub 3 LANSs. 

The new router only connects if nothing else is plugged into the modems LAN sockets.

Q: when in modem mode, can I still connect Ethernet cables to other devices to the hub in modem mode? Or can I only connect the new Tenda router??

Thanks guys for any help

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you want to use more than one LAN port on the hub in conjunction with the Tenda, then you need to run the hub in router mode (turn its wifi off) and connect the Tenda in access point mode, sometimes called bridge mode.

Appreciate the confirmation. I've sorted that. All works with one LAN and modem mode. I don't want two networks as it could confuse my devices or conflict. My house construction has really impacted my coverage. The Tenda Mesh system though seems to be a lot better, even just using two units. The third isn't turned in yet! 

Appreciate the confirmation. I've sorted it now and the Tends works great with one LAN and modem mode. In fact I need less LAN it seems as my TV isn't experiencing connection issues at all on WiFi so no need for an ethernet cable.