Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Huawei P20 Pro won't connect to wi-fi

My other half and I both have Huawei P20  Pro phones and are finding that our wi-fi drops out all of the time and phones keep switching to data while we're at home. This is driving us both nuts and obviously costing us more and more in data each month. Does anyone  have a step by step dummies guide to fixing the problem? I read somewhere a while ago about 5G compatibility iirc and changing the frequency on router but it rather overwhelmed me and I gave up trying. If there's any wonderful wizz to do it easily I'd be very grateful for any help.

Thanks

Beth

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Huawei P20 Pro won't connect to wi-fi

If you haven’t already done it - try this.
Access your Hub settings - (go to http://192.168.0.1 your browser) and navigate to “smart wifi” and then tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.
After doing that - go in to advanced>wireless>security, and just rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's (just change 'em to something like ... xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) use the same password for both, save settings and restart Hub.
Over wifi you can then individually select the network that you want each device to connect to.
See if that helps if not you can always reset it all back with a pinhole reset of the Hub.
You should also use a wifi scanning App to see what 2.4 wifi channels are most congested from your neighbours and ensure you set your channel to the one which shows least use/power of the 3 non-overlapping channels 1,6,11. at that location.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Huawei P20 Pro won't connect to wi-fi

Hello

Thank you for coming to the forum we will try the best to help you.

I am aware that some phones find it difficult to connect to wireless when Smart Wifi is on.

So please goto http://192.168.0.1 login using the details on a sticker on the bottom of the hub.

Once logged in goto "Advanced Settings" , "Wireless" , "Wireless Signal" and you should see a page like below, tthere just place a tick in "Disable Channel Optimization", and then click on "Apply Changes" that should resolve the problem.

Hub 3.0 2019-04-24 16-24-06.png

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos