cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn wifi off

Junojac
Joining in

I would like to turn wifi off at night, This is not block it to certain devices - just plain old OFF, without turning the router off.

I understand that if we turn off the entire router off, it messes with the configuration, so ideally - keep the router on and turn the wifi off...

Think you hive mind!

47 REPLIES 47

ozsat
Superstar
Yuo have to do it manually as there is no automatic system - you'll need to say which hub you have for precise details.
The sort of thing it sounds like you want to do is better done by getting you own router and putting your VM hub in modem mode.
==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Hi !

We have a Hub 3. 

If I am with VM - do I not have to use their router. Could you be clearer as to why I would need my own router. Thanks so much for your help.

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Junojac wrote:

Hi !

We have a Hub 3. 

If I am with VM - do I not have to use their router. Could you be clearer as to why I would need my own router. Thanks so much for your help.

You can use your own router with more features and facilities.

The Virgin Hub remains connected to the cable from the street but you put it in modem mode so your own equipment is connected.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

The VM hub allows you to manually switch the wifi off and on everytime you want to do it.

If you got your own router then they will usually offer you a built-in timer to do this. You own router would still have to connect to the VM hub but you can have that switched to modem mode which will means it's own wifi is always off.

You have to use the VM modem part of the hub - but you don't have to use the router part which control all the in-house options.

@Junojac wrote:

Hi !

We have a Hub 3. 

So I purchase a router ( with wifi on/off) facilities and connect it to my VM router?

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Junojac wrote:

So I purchase a router ( with wifi on/off) facilities and connect it to my VM router?

Yes. And set virgin hub as shown Here 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Junojac wrote:

<snip>  I understand that if we turn off the entire router off, it messes with the configuration, so ideally - keep the router on and turn the wifi off...

Powering off a Hub will not reset the configuration.   A pinhole reset will do that.

There are lots of users who use timers to power the Hub on and off at night to save electricity.  There is a long thread here somewhere about the pro and con's of doing so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

But you will loose all network activity with the hub powered off which could include V6/360 updates - the original post said Wifi

@Adduxi wrote:

@Junojac wrote:

<snip>  I understand that if we turn off the entire router off, it messes with the configuration, so ideally - keep the router on and turn the wifi off...

Powering off a Hub will not reset the configuration.   A pinhole reset will do that.

There are lots of users who use timers to power the Hub on and off at night to save electricity.  There is a long thread here somewhere about the pro and con's of doing so.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ozsat wrote:

But you will loose all network activity with the hub powered off which could include V6/360 updates - the original post said Wifi  <snip>

Yes, I was only correcting the statement re. losing configuration.   🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks