Menu
Highlighted
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 21 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: How have Virgin Media not been sued? MAC Filtering!

But it can be a useful tool.  Easy to bypass, but as long as the users are trusted then it's useful.

Much like IP filtering on the SuperHub, that's easy to bypass by setting your own IP manually.  Many of the things we look at as a "secure" feature is nothing more than a "helpful" feature.

On a side note.  Changing your adapters to other MAC's can lead to some interesting questions by network admins and people who scan networks as they drive.

Spoiler
00-20-91   (hex)		J125, NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCY
002091     (base 16)		J125, NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCY
				9800 SAVAGE ROAD
				FT. MEADE  MD  20755-6000
				US

00-08-55   (hex)		NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center
000855     (base 16)		NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center
				Code 561
				Greenbelt  MD  20771
				US

00-20-E7   (hex)		B&W NUCLEAR SERVICE COMPANY
0020E7     (base 16)		B&W NUCLEAR SERVICE COMPANY
				SPECIAL PRODUCTS & INTEG.SVCS.
				LYNCHBURG  VA  24502
				US

D8-65-95   (hex)		Toy's Myth Inc.
D86595     (base 16)		Toy's Myth Inc.
				304, Yongsan-gu Changup-Jiwon center
				  Seoul  140-240
				KR
----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
Highlighted
UtopiaOpera
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 37
Flag for a moderator

**Deep breaths**

Thanks for the 1000th explanation as to why I don't need a functioning MAC filter table. Very helpful Smiley Mad

So in the end I had to change the wifi password and the passwords on every device in the house in turn. Thanks VM!

I take it you've all concluded on which DDWRT compatible router - which is cheap and functional - you recommend idiots like me buy? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 23 of 37
Flag for a moderator

We don't work for VM - In fact I once ended up writing to my MP over their email service, so you might do well to get off your high horse.

No one in their right mind recommends MAC address filtering, it's as useful as building a fence out of wet tissue paper, it doesn't matter what router you use.  For the record my brother wanted to set this up on a Netgear Nighthawk with his hub 3 in modem mode.  (The Nighthawk is an awesome router BTW - If a tad expensive).

Just because you don't like the advice that's given doesn't mean it's bad advice.

I also note your comment 

So in the end I had to change the wifi password and the passwords on every device in the house in turn.

Which suggests you were planning on using MAC address filtering to mitigate the effects of what essentially is a password breach.  The less said about that idea the better.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
UtopiaOpera
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

Which suggests you were planning on using MAC address filtering to mitigate the effects of what essentially is a password breach.

Nope, another person who doesn't want to read... just like the VM automatons who have kudosed your post. So you only pretend you work for VM up until a point... bizarre interesting.

Besides the point, a working MAC filter is used for network admin with internet access. So kudos that if you manage to peal your tongues away for VMs backside for 10 seconds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 25 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Nobody in this thread has 'pretended' to work for VM or even made such an implication in their responses, the VM staff are quite apparent by the VM logo next to their name.

Regardless of that though, "network admin" is incredibly vague and in your context nothing more than a buzzword. The only way a MAC filter would ever be network admin would be if it wasn't a filter but was actually RADIUS MAC authentication where you can audit connection attempts and assign VLANs based on MAC address, used to complement existing access control rather than be used as an access control.
The only issue being that RADIUS requires a server and likely isn't supported by much of the consumer networking gear.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 26 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@UtopiaOpera wrote:

@ravenstar68 wrote:

Which suggests you were planning on using MAC address filtering to mitigate the effects of what essentially is a password breach.

Nope, another person who doesn't want to read... just like the VM automatons who have kudosed your post. So you only pretend you work for VM up until a point... bizarre interesting.

Besides the point, a working MAC filter is used for network admin with internet access. So kudos that if you manage to peal your tongues away for VMs backside for 10 seconds.

Being as the the term network admin actually refers to a person or persons responsible for administering the network (i.e. Network Administrators), your statement makes no sense at all.  

And it's peel not peal - if you're going to insult people get it right.

It's hardly our fault if you don't understand that this is a COMMUNITY FORUM, where first responses come from other members of the community i.e. other Virgin Media users - trying to help you out.

The hub 3 is by no means perfect.  I was actually very unhappy with the state of the firmware that they originally released to the public, and while it is improved there is still lots wrong with it IMHO, for example no ability to switch off ICMP echo responses, and no tick boxes to allow VPN passthroughs to work.  However for most people it's an adequate device.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 27 of 37
Flag for a moderator

I regard any Hub as simply a means to get a connection to the ISP, certainly not a means to adequately control a network or provide good WiFi coverage ... for that you need to add a decently specified 3rd party router.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tudor
Legend
Message 28 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Agreed Dave_cq. Using Ubiquiti EdgeRouter and UniFi AC Pros WAPs, all singing and dancing to my tune. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Community elder
Message 29 of 37
Flag for a moderator

oh the naivety of those that think mac filtering and hiding SSID is a method of "security".
probably the same folk that use "letmein" or "password123" as their WIFI password.

It's as much security as removing the house number from your front door.

Highlighted
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 30 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:

oh the naivety of those that think mac filtering and hiding SSID is a method of "security".
probably the same folk that use "letmein" or "password123" as their WIFI password.

It's as much security as removing the house number from your front door.

I've fooled everybody, I use "password124" .... DOH!

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos