cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency - Not getting full speed most of the time

f43y65yteg5
Joining in

Writing to VM support - end users please do not respond, thank you.

I'd like to get a technician to take a look at my account and see if there's any issues because my Ubiquiti router says the connection has high latency (confirmed in graphs) and the speed I'm getting is about half of what it should be connected directly to Modem mode. Maybe power level issues or maybe it's the crappy Hub 4 which still has Puma issues. Please respond via DM as I can't share my account details here.

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Legend

Tip of the day:   "the speed I'm getting"  = the speed your kit is drawing.

Take 15 mins to put the Hub back into Router mode and find out if it operates at the expected speed  : https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

If the Hub is functioning fine,  then the question of all of your own kit comes sharply into focus.

If the Hub is not functioning fine check the Power / SNR / Modulations levels are in spec & check 0800 561 0061 for local faults.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will not get a response from VM for at least 2 days and they are only call processors not technicians. In any case if you are running in modem mode there is very little they can do unless you go back to router mode and then they can only really see the line stats. There are a lot of technical users on the board who can help you in the meantime, if you wish. My UDM-Pro always gets full speed using the Ookla speed test code I have installed on it. The Ubiquiti Speedtest results are unreliable in my view.

Please provide some stats and we can see the condition of the line.

How to get stats from a VM hub (no need to logon to the hub)

Open a web browser and go to 192.168.0.1 router mode or 192.168.100.1 modem mode

• Click on the “> Check router status” button
  • Click on the “Downstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply, do not take a screen shot
  • Click on the “Upstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply
  • Click on the “Networking” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply.
    • Do NOT post photos or screen shots they will be rejected as they contain MAC addresses. The board software will automatically change MAC addresses to **:** if done as above.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi f43y65yteg5, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the connection. 
How did it go with the speedtest? 
Can you create a BQM here and let us know the results? 
Kind regards, Chris. 

Hi Chris,

Sure, here's the test. Sometimes I will get full speed but it's really hit and miss. Most of the time I see half speed. Download is always more affected than up but sometimes up is affected too. I am not running tests using the Unifi Dream Machine tester because it's incorrect. I'm only trusting the latency test there. For speed tests I usually do thinkbroadband and fast dot com.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1676306596864019555

Hi f43y65yteg5, 

Thanks for coming back to us in the Community and for providing the Think Broadband speed results. 

In order to measure the latency, a broadband quality monitor is best to set up as this will show us the correct readings along with any patterns. 

In terms of checks this end, your downstream power levels are on the high side which will likely be affecting you. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs