cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with pod/ethernet connection

craigy3
Tuning in

Hi folks 

looking for a little help from someone in the know. Got my first WiFi pod delivered the other day and I wanted to run an Ethernet cable from the hub to the pod to give it a solid connection to then boost WiFi. However when I plug in the cable to it the lights flash for a second or two different colours then go out. No WiFi signal is present from it. 

cabke is definitely working as I tested it using my Sonos one and it played internet radio without a glitch. 

am I missing something ? What am I doing wrong ? 

cheers 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Maybe one is an in the other an out try the left port 1st and see if that works then the 2nd port and see if the WiFi improves. If you don't see any change then phone VM the pod might need to be activated to your account I had to do this with 2 of my pods.

I wouldn't mind knowing if these new pods can be daisy chained if so I wouldn't mind these new ones see if it improves the signal even better, but then again I don't really need my WiFi any faster but I'm sure others will.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

29 REPLIES 29

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Ethernet connector on the WiFi Pods is intended for output.

Your WiFi Pod is intended to be WiFi-connected to the broadband Hub and placed between the Hub and the area with poor WiFi signal.

I assume your Hub is set up as required?

Router Mode

Single SSID covering both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi bands

Channel Optimisation enabled

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi 

yes it is. 

I was sure I read that they could be used for either. 

thanks 

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You have a single WiFi Pod. You are connecting it directly to your Hub by Ethernet. What benefit does that give the remote WiFi devices that are having poor connectivity? They’re now the same distance from two WiFi sources which are together.

As per the provided instructions, plug your WiFi Pod part way between your Hub and the area with poor WiFi connectivity.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

No the pod is a good bit away from my hub and I ran a Ethernet cable under the house from my hub to the pod. I assumed that the cable would give the pod a solid connection and then send a signal out in that area of the house 

no ? 

I have 3 pods and have been trialling them now for several months, I have removed 2 pods and now only use 1 pod connected via Ethernet, this gives me the best WiFi coverage than using all 3 pods. Putting the pod as far away from the hub as possible gives me download/upload speeds of 450/52 all over the house via WiFi if I put the pod any closer the connection gets.

Sorry forgot to say the speeds I was getting with all 3 pods, I was only seeing speeds of 155/230 Max hence me removing 2 and keeping the 1 connected to the hub.

Did you run an RJ45 from hub to the pod ?

Did you get any issues like I did or do anything to set it up ? 

Also is it the newest one with the two Ethernet connections on the bottom ? 

Thought they were the older ones! 

The Intelligent WiFi pods these one's only have 1 Ethernet connection

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/intelligent-wifi-pods-newintelligent-wifi-pods-new

PS yes I run Ethernet straight from hub to pod from one end of the house to the other downstairs to upstairs.

Mine looks like that but has two Ethernet connections on the bottom of it