Menu
k8sheridan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Help improving wifi range

I have a years old hub 3 router and since moving to a new house a year ago the wifi range has been consistently awful in various parts of the house. I live in a dorma bungalow so not a huge house. Router is next to tv, central to the downstairs open plan area. Black spots are the furthest points but it’s only a few meters and no thick walls or anything unusual obstructing.

Been using tp-link 4220 powerline extenders which are proving annoyingly  temperamental so not a reliable solution. 

Asked virgin about upgrading to hub 4 but I’m not eligible. Asked virgin to send their boosters but they have none in stock. Thanks Brexit!

Virgin are sending a replacement hub 3 but I’m not holding my breath that will fix it.

Is my best option to switch to modem mode and use 3rd party router? Will this improve the range? Didn’t really want 2 routers on show by my tv.

P.S I have 100mb line and speeds are not an issue. Only wifi range.

TIA

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help improving wifi range

Just get a 3rd party router look for 1Gb ports.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help improving wifi range

You could just leave it as is and connect a wireless access point directly to the Hub by Cat5e/6/7 ethernet cable - assuming you can run that to where you need it and conceal it to your satisfaction

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos