Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Has there been a Hub 3 firmware update recently?

In the last few weeks, I've been experiencing issues with WiFi. It's very much like the issue some months ago with Samsung phones.

I'm getting:

1) Poor signal within the property in areas where I was haven't any since the "Samsung fix"
2) Buffering on things like YouTube on random devices, random pauses on Skype, FB Messenger where it takes a while to send a message or signs me out.
3) XBOX disconnecting even though it's within 1m of the Hub 3!
4) Samsung phones showing medium to high WiFi signal but slow connection.
5) Speedtest shows poor results sometimes but trying again shows top speed...

I haven't seen any issues regarding the area so I'm wondering if it's there's been a firmware update and if anyone else had this issue?

Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Has there been a Hub 3 firmware update recently?

What Hub firmware are you on?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Always forget something...

Standard specification compliant : DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version : 10
Software version : 9.1.1811.401

🙂

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That is the latest Hub 3 Firmware.  It was pushed to my Hub just over a week ago, but I believe it was released a few weeks before.  I very rarely reboot my Hub 3, so the latest firmware usually takes a while to arrive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Which is around the amount of time I've been having the issue, the last couple of weeks...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Its just one of the perils with using VM Hubs as wifi routers. Best to regard them as modems and use them in modem mode with your own router and wireless equipment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, I've tried a router before with the hub as a modem and I just got absolute zero out of it. As it happens it was an ASUS router (which someone else is having issues with in another thread).

Guess it's time to try again 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Can you expand.
What does - "I just got absolute zero out of it" - mean ? I know of no one who hasnt had improved performance (albeit, perhaps(maybe) not totally solving all wifi issues) by putting a Hub into modem mode and using a "good quality" Asus wifi router.
Please explain.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have also been experiencing ping spikes recently after my router was restarted in around february. Whilst playing games like CSGO or anything really, my ping skyrockets to 150 and my download drops significantly. Just wanted to know if there was anything I could do myself to solve this issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

How are you connecting to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos