cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone got a HUB 5 that provides any form of decent WiFi?

Alan_B
On our wavelength

the HUB 5 is useless...WifI is non-existent you go anything further than 5 metres away and teh signal is minimal. Plus the router seems to lose connection every few minutes to anything....It is driving me crazy and VM think this is teh future. If it is then they haven't got one....time to look elsewhere I think. 

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model did you have before getting the Hub5 and how was its wifi performance?

And see this...

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4/5, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - However as you have a Hub5 they wont work (yet!) so this is a non-starter for you

Also if not free… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Alan_B

Thanks for your post 
Sorry to hear about the issue with your Hub5
After checking a few things from here 

The up and downstream levels are a little out 

Part of this will be the reason hub keeps dropping connection 

Its will need an engineer to come out 
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Alan_B

Thanks for those details 
I have booked the first engineer appointment we have available
You can check and reschedule this appointment through your online account if you need to
You can also cancel it if the fault has gone 
Can you please let me know how the visit goes 
Gareth_L

Alan_B
On our wavelength

Hi Gareth_L,

The engineer visited on Friday evening and noted that the power levels for the signal were low and he boosted the power output from the cabinet and then he replaced the Hub 5 with a Hub 4. He was very knowledgeable and the actions he has taken seemed to have resolved the issues. I now have a decent Wifi signal and don't seem to be suffering Wifi drop outs. 

There is definitely something wrong with these HUB5 units and I certainly can see the improvement with a Hub4. 

Regards

Alan

Hi there Alan, 

Thank you so much for your response and I'm glad to hear that things are looking better now. 

Our engineer will feed this back to the technical teams so that we can look at improving the Hub 5 connections. 

Should you have any further issues at all with your system please do let us know and we will do all we can to assist from here. 

Thank you again. 

KEVIJAY
Just browsing

This hub is useless,  can't get a signal from more than 6 feet away,  does anyone know how to get the old hub reconnected?  I kept the old one as seen the drastically reduced signal range straight away,  i naively thought it would get as they ran updates but nope.  Just want to go back to reliable wifi like I had before this new improved disaster.  

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Call the equipment activation number on - 0800 953 9500 (option 3) – explain but insist that they re-add the old hub to your account and inactivate the Hub5 as its not fit for your purpose and you no longer want to test it out - say you will return it.

You will need the serial numbers/MAC addresses off the barcode stickers and also your account number

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hey @KEVIJAY,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your new hub 5 and the WiFi signal its providing at the moment. I have looked into this and there is currently an issue with the SNR levels of your connection that will need a technician to resolve.

I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment. Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Regards,
Steven_L

confucious
Tuning in

Just got my Hub 5 today and no longer need my ASUS router. The Wi-Fi on the HUB 3 was useless, but it’s great on the 5