Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: HUB 4 speed

the asus is more than capable.
is it possible you had it configured wrong?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

nope, the config was fine. I will keep my eye out on new routers coming out. Probably time for an upgrade with Wifi 6 support.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

well all i can say is that the asus you mentioned is more than capable, so if the config wasn't the issue then i don't know why it didn't give you what it should have.

WiFi 6 support in routers is already there, however if your client doesn't support it then it's a waste of money for now. i have the asus RT-AX88U with wifi 6 support. i upgraded the wifi card in my laptop to a killer ax1650x, which gives me a wifi connected speed ot 2.4Gbps, however the drop off is quick, and to get the 2.4Gbps i am so close to the router i might as well be connected via ethernet.

wifi 6, though, isn't all about the higher speeds, it's more about be able to support many devices without degradation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

i finally went for the Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine All-in-One Router.  Weird thing was , it took over 90 minutes of trial and error and numerous HUB 4 resets to detect the VM internet connection. Seems to be rock solid now at 925 Mbps down and 52 Mbps up. I think now a better managed home network is more important than wifi 6. Ubiquiti managed switch with PoE and AP for upstairs is the next step....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

aww man, what a mistake buying that piece of junk.
i had that for a few months and then sold it on ebay.

what a piece of junk it was.
have you noticed the insane fan noise it gives when it does anything over 25Mbps? even local LAN file transfers causes the fan to ramp up to insane levels.

i was a big fan of ubiquit fit before buying the UDM (having edge routers and unifi APs), however that has turned me sour to them and i now won't touch them with a barge pole. their support is one of the worst i've come across, and you end up havint to run beta versions of the Unifi OS to fix basic features they broke in the release versions, but the beta versions break other things in the process.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Done some large file transfers, 1TB+ and no fan noise whatsoever. Will see how it goes over time but no complaints so far.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

whenever i downloaded anything the fans ramped up, when downstream utilisation was more than about 15MB/s.

many on the unifi forums reported the same.

0 Kudos