Menu
rmluk
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HUB 3.0, is it ok to mount it horizontally?

I'd like to mount my HUB 3.0 horizontally.  Is that OK as long as I allow good air circulation?

thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: HUB 3.0, is it ok to mount it horizontally?

In router or modem mode ? I have had a horizontal SH2 for years with no problem it is fairly "open" though.
If it were in router mode I would expect it to alter you wifi environment as you are turning the internal antennae through 90 degrees. Whether it will make it better or worse will depend on a number of geographic factors on which others should comment. I would just do it and see what effect it has.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Interesting question.  WiFi traditionally uses Vertical Polarisation.  The aerials in a laptop's screen surround are more or less vertical, the internal aerials in a hub or router are also near enough vertical.

Laying your hub on its side will result in Horizontal Polarisation which in theory will mean weaker signals between it and your devices.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
rmluk
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I shoul dhave been clearer.

I am not very worried about the rotated polarisation (that seems to work OK BTW).

I am worried about it getting overheated, because the airflow was designed for vertical use.

Robert

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My sh2 is just lying on an open shelf - i did put some small blobs of blu-tac at each corner just to...  (1) dampen any potential "rattles", (2) ensure ther was some airflow on that "bottom" side.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

WiFi routers normally use vertical polarisation because it is more convenient to mount the aerials vertically. 

But in an indoor domestic environment the signals are reflected and scattered by a multitude of surfaces, so that the received polarisation in any one place is virtually random.

If a router is laid horizontally so that its internal aerials are close to the shelf, the shelf material might absorb some of the signal. 

0 Kudos