cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB 3.0 AND SECURITY

bodger99
Tuning in

I've been with VM for a number of years and I've my current route is a Hub 3.0 - I'm not quite sure how long I've had the router though.

I was reading an article about router security today and it was saying that WPA 3 is now the latest standard. I checked the router settings and discovered Hub 3.0 must be an old design because it doesn't support WPA3.

The article went on to say that anyone with an old router like this should almost certainly upgrade their router, particularly as routers with modern architecture enjoy better hardware, better coverage, and access to more advanced features.

I'm not sure why I haven't been offered a more up to date model by VM especially as I'm on the 500MB package. Is there one & is it any good?

If it's better to get a high quality 3rd party router? Could it be substituted easily for the Hub 3.0? If that's the case, which are the best models?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes the Hub can be put into modem mode and a good cable router attached - I and many others already do that 🙂

Which is best is like asking... whats the best car to buy?

What "features" do you want? Wifi6? 2.5 GB port? Mesh or router? Whats the budget? Whats the layout of the house?" etc....

Below are some ramblings I have posted before - assuming you want something with wifi...

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£40 will get a decent introductory wireless router (TP-Link Archer C6) but 'may' not on its own solve the wifi in your house, but spending ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system with WiFi6 (may cost a bit more). You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports. WiFi6 is also future proofing for faster connections.

Recently, just as an example... three of my friends who all live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and all said it is - “absolutely brilliant with excellent wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John,
Many thx for the quick response - unfortunately, none of your 'ramblings' were attached to your post. I'll prob. get back to you with some questions.
Mike

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
they are now above 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.