Menu
ratbert
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Google WiFi on hub 3.0 slow connection

Hi all (first post).

I have just moved to VM and while the WiFi was enabled I got 151Mbps, which was probably limited by the laptop I used.

I have a google wifi mesh setup (3 nodes), so quickly switched the hub 3 to "modem mode". After a lot of messing around with settings, I got the mesh up and running successfully. The main good router puck is connected directly to port 1 on the Hub 3.

Problem now is that my speeds have dropped over WiFi (via the google) and Ethernet to around 70-80Mbps. The google puck is supposed to be good up to about 700Mbps.

I tried two different cables between the google and the hub. No real difference between them.

Is there anything that need to be done from the virgin side to support modem mode, or is this a known issue? I have not tried running with the hub as a router as this could cause double NAT and confusing DHCP.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Google WiFi on hub 3.0 slow connection

@ratbert wrote:

Hi all (first post).

I have just moved to VM and while the WiFi was enabled I got 151Mbps, which was probably limited by the laptop I used.

I have a google wifi mesh setup (3 nodes), so quickly switched the hub 3 to "modem mode". After a lot of messing around with settings, I got the mesh up and running successfully. The main good router puck is connected directly to port 1 on the Hub 3.

Problem now is that my speeds have dropped over WiFi (via the google) and Ethernet to around 70-80Mbps. The google puck is supposed to be good up to about 700Mbps.

I tried two different cables between the google and the hub. No real difference between them.

Is there anything that need to be done from the virgin side to support modem mode, or is this a known issue? I have not tried running with the hub as a router as this could cause double NAT and confusing DHCP.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Nothing to be done on the VM side

Check if you have any QoS set

Are the cables fully populated (all conductors present) and known good?

check what channels are being used - use an analyser app

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You can also check the Ethernet speed directly off the hub modem to compare - but will need to power the hub off/on to overcome the device getting a different public IP from the Virgin DHCP server due to it having a different MAC address 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
ratbert
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi g0akc,

Not sure about the quality of the cables. One is marked as Cat5e. The other is an unmarked flat cable that came with the Google WiFi kit for the modem connection. Should be okay.

Google WiFi doesn't have any QoS settings, though there is a "gaming preferred" mode. I tried turning that off and it didn't seem to help much.

When you say to see what the speed/link speed off the hub is, I assume you mean plugin a device with Ethernet directly in to the hub and test with that? I can give that a go, but I don't have anything to hand right now other the a Raspberry Pi. That will give me link speed but probably is not a good speed tester. I think it can do about 300Mbps, but not sure about that.

I guess you are thinking the same as me though. There is something not quite right between the puck and the hub?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ratbert
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I ended up following the google WiFi guide to restart the modem. In short: Turn off hub for at least two minutes and then start it again.

Once the hub had finished it's setup, I used the google WiFi speed test and it reported 211Mbps. Spot on! I'm on M200, so that is what I hoped to see.

I assume the Ethernet puck->modem connection got stuck at 100Mbps during the painful setup procedure. Lesson learned - don't be afraid to reboot!

0 Kudos