cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 Fibre Upgrade & WiFi Speeds

hackwoodg
Tuning in

So.......................

Upgraded to the Gig1 Fibre package yesterday and got everything setup (well plugged the new Hub 4 in).

I put the Hub 4 into 'Modem mode' and connected it to my TP-Link Archer AX6000 router.

Speed test on an ethernet connected device straight up to 949Mbps, exactly what I was expecting.

Speed test on a WiFi device 530Mbps, which is exactly what I was getting on the previous package (M500).

Now I know there is nothing wrong with the connection as it's consistently giving 949Mbps over ethernet, but I was expecting some improvement over WiFi, even if marginal.

I have factory reset the router, tried different WiFi settings but just can't seem to get any real improvement.

Anyone have any ideas or things I could try?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unlikely you will get more than that on a WiFi 5 device, max is 867MHz, but you can never get very near that due to all the overheads. Also a lot depends on the device you are using, most are only 2x2 and that restricts you.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unlikely you will get more than that on a WiFi 5 device, max is 867MHz, but you can never get very near that due to all the overheads. Also a lot depends on the device you are using, most are only 2x2 and that restricts you.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for the reply.

I've been running the speed tests on an M1 MacBook Air and an iPhone 13 Pro.

I thought I may have seen little improvement.

Hi there @hackwoodg

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you haven't had much improvement across your WiFi devices! 

We aren't able to test equipment when it is in modem mode, but if you are able to pop the Hub back into router mode we'd be happy to take a look at the specs etc for you? 

Please let me know if you are able to do so.

Thank you.