cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast speed, slow loading, broken websites

X-Morgan
Tuning in

Hi all, looking for help and advice.

Two weeks ago I noticed that my connection wasn't as stable. You kinda get used to how quickly pages load and notice anything out of the ordinary.

The biggest culprit was any speedtest results showing 200-220Mb, but pages like BBC News, Twitter, YouTube showing blank white pages and "establishing a secure connection" in Chrome. Once it was done it half-loaded a site with broken links as images.

It affected anything connected to the network (ethernet or Wi-Fi).

I assumed it would just resolve itself, but it didn't.

I would also get a lot of DNS style errors and "page failed to load" within Chrome or failed logins for anything using https. But if you left it on the error page, after about 60 seconds, it would load perfectly.

I've been backwards and forwards with tech support, however it's been no use as they just tried to sell me Wi-Fi Booster pods for some reason, or blame the fact that I'm running in modem mode (even though I told them that the issues persist even in router mode).

Yesterday I had an engineer out and he replaced my Superhub 2ac with a Superhub 3 and he said he went out to the signal box and tightened a few connections while he was there.

Power levels and other readings he said were now fine with the Hub 3 installed, but as the day went on, the issues were still there.

2 hours on Tech support yesterday and today have got me no closer other than being told "your connection is being monitored and will improve within 24 hours" but I've been told that about 6 times now over the last 2 weeks.

I checked these forums and noticed people having very similar issues (PSN, DNS, slow loading).

Any and all help is appreciated.

(Also, for info, I changed my DNS and the issue was still there)

If you need any details, please let me know.

50 REPLIES 50

I'm also in South Glasgow, have experienced the same issues for weeks and am now living the let us alter some settings and wait 24 - 48 hours dream :(. After many hours on the phone/chat service I've managed to convince Virgin Media to send an engineer, is there somewhere to check which areas have faults that are awaiting repair?  

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @DustinG 

Have you looked at Check service status at the top of the page for known faults? You can also a run a test on your equipment from there.

If nothing is showing  you could also try the  Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more known local issues down to postcode level.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm in Derby DE1 and been getting the exact same issues. For me it started after by BB was upgraded to 500mb. But that may be a coincidence

I did start my own thread, but annoyingly it got merged with the North London Wix thread - which is NOT the same issue. They have websites that simply refuse to load. My issue is, like yours - frequent DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN errors and then the pages load after a few seconds or don't always load completely

It happens on all devices on my network, wired and wireless, so it's not a wifi issue

My SH4 is in modem mode, so it's not a SH4 router issue

I changed my DNS on the router from the default of 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100 to 194.168.4.123 and 194.168.8.123 and that made no difference

The only thing that seems to fox it is to do an ipconfig /flushdns - but this is only temporary. Within a few hours the problem returns

Someone mentioned google safebrowsing may be the issue. I don't know what this is, but when I ran a wirseshark trace I could see calls to google safebrowsing just before the DNS A Record call to the website I wanted was rejected. Then a couple of seconds later the A Record gets resolved OK on a second try

Virgin clearly have a bog problem on their DNS set up somewhere. It may be related to the North London Wix sites not resolving at all thing but it is NOT the same

Now getting the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN errors on Chrome !!!

Same. My internet was running not too bad this evening, but in the last hour everything's just crashed to a crawl.

Tested 3 DNS severs (Virgin, Cloudflare and Google) flushed my settings, reset network adapter and still getting DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN errors.

Still happening here too. 

Come on VM, this needs some attention

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply, X-Morgan.

I am sorry you are still having issues, I have checked our systems all look fine, I also checked the area's latency and that also looks good.
I cannot do any further checks on your hub as it is in modem mode.

Zoie

Hi @X-Morgan @bobbydriver @ewhitey 

Thanks for the replies via Private Message. We've passed the details over to our Technical Team so they can continue with their investigation and we'll update you as soon as we can.

Regards,

Lisa

Still heard nothing - and it's still happening

It's not just website either - any apps that make internet calls suffer the same connectivity issue, and it's pretty disruptive

Given what I pay for the Broadband and the fact I've been a customer since 1995 (when you were Nynex) I kinda feel like the least I can expect is a reliable connection

Just for continuity, VM diagnosed my Hub 4 as faulty and they've replaced it with a Hub5. My upload speeds are still a bit up and down as is my latency but overall, my other issues appear to be fixed. I've had no website issues at all - The forum had checked my logs and are sending out a tech as I have missing channels? but heard nothing since receiving the pm - Just takes time so I'm sure they'll be in touch 😉