Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Extending wifi coverage in the house with solid walls

I am on Virgin 100 Mbps broadband. I have the Virgin Hub3 configured as a modem to use with a Asus RT-N66U wireless router in the living room of the house. My house has 4 bedrooms,all with solid brick walls hence, the wifi signal is generally bad upstairs. 

I managed to use a Devolo dLan500 set in the master bedroom which works fine - perhapsthis is due to the fact the socket the dLan is plugged into is on the same electrical circuit as the Superhub3/Asus wireless router. . I have another set of Devolo dLan500 which I want to use in another room but couldn't get any stable signal perhaps the wiring is on a different circuit as the hub. Is there a device Virgin provides that would solve the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extending wifi coverage in the house with solid walls

You would be better just investing in your own Wifi Mesh system. There are lots of recent posts on here from satisfied mesh users.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgins offerings are also sub-par powerline adaptors. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

How does a Wifi Mesh System from say, BT or TP Link works with the setup currently I have ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Depends - would you want to continue to use the Asus as your router - or the first unit on some Mesh systems provides that function.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos