cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiencing High Packet Loss & Latency Spikes, Gig1 on HUB 5

Matrixmick
On our wavelength

Hi Im currently running my HUB 5 in Modem Mode and I am using a 3rd party Router/Mesh system (UniFi), i keep experiencing high latency spikes and packet loss errors, when iv check my virgin hub network status, it is showing very high amounts of Post RS Errors on all channels and is steadily climbing, the downstream power level's are all below 10dBmV, averaging around 3.5dBmV, plus there are zero Timeouts on the upstream side, could someone possible give me any advise on what i can do to solve this, i have tried contacting Virgin Customer Service but i am not getting any answers as of yet

Many Thanks

23 REPLIES 23

IMG_9407.pngThis is my current BQM, since placing the Hub 5 back into Router mode 24 hours ago, the latency has been erratic, and Im continuing to get packet loss regularly, please help

Hi Virgin

Any update regarding monitoring my connection?

Hi Matrixmick, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. We're sorry to hear there have been a few updates since we last spoke. 

Due to the nature of the Community, it can sometimes take us a few days to reply so when we need equipment in a certain state, we need it to remain that way until we have replied back so I'm afraid due to the fact you've changed settings in and out, we've not been able to monitor things. 

I have taken another look today though and our diagnostics have confirmed that there are no issues with our network or the Hub. All signal and power levels are within optimal ranges, as the hub is back in Modem mode, I'm unable to connect to it to test the speed or view any disconnections/dropouts. There is nothing in the area affecting you either. 

Are you able to post the live URL link to the BQM so we can see this in a live state? 

Many thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Matrixmick
On our wavelength

Hi there i had to place the hub back into modem mode as most of my devices are connected to my own 3rd party router, and in router mode on the hub 5 it was causing a conflict so some of my devices were disconnecting from the network, i had it in router mode over the weekend, please see my live BQM link, the latency performance has settled, but Im still experiencing small packet loss, could I possibly have a experienced engineer visit, as the previous engineer did nothing other than swap the hub 5 and listen to his drum & bass in the van for 10 mins, none of my lines were checked and he certainly never checked the green box outside my home

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/4d96f14fe82809809ac7bb29207ea3f693a21b5b

many thanks

Hi after Virgin was down twice yesterday, i finally got my service back up and running, but yet I'm still experiencing these severe packet loss issues, it is causing some of my wireless devices to disconnect from my network and they wont reconnect until they are rebooted or reconnected maually, they disconnect early morning between the hours of 2:00am to 6:00am while i am asleep, no major internet traffic is in use at this time, but packet loss still ocures, i have noticed that when the disconnects happens it is right after a major packet loss event, as indicated by my BQM and my own 3rd party equipment as this is also monitoring my internet health, they are both in sync and showing the same results, all i am asking is that someone please arrange an experienced engineer to attend my property and carry out full checks on my connection please, as this was not carried out by your previous engineer that turned up, he just replaced my hub 5, blaming a virus on the hub itself, i appreciate that nothing is showing as faulty on your end, but i should not be experiencing connection drops outs and packet loss from your service in which i pay a lot of money to use, this is unacceptable, these issues have only occurred since upgrading my service to Gig 1 three weeks ago, nothing has changed apart from your equipment, the Hub 5, i have had this hub 5 replaced already and no change has occurred so the issue lies with your connection, i was previously on M500 using the same 3rd party equipment i am using now with no such problems, since upgrading to Gig1 these problems have begun, i need this sorting asap, as i refuse to pay for a sub par service when everyday it disconnects my devices, its causing laggy internet on both my wired and wifi devices and is just not fit for purpose, i am 100% sure it is either your equipment or the connection coming into my property as i have still experienced these issues with just the hub 5 with nothing but my iPhone connected to the hub to monitor it for 48 hours, the same packet loss issues was still there and was terrible, also the latency when just running on the hub 5 was even worse, but when I connect my own 3rd party equipment the Latency does improve, which tells me my equipment is trying to correct the issues it finds with the connection but is struggling with the packet loss issue, as is still present, please arrange someone with experience to attend and investigate further

many thanks

Hi @Matrixmick 

So sorry to hear that you're experiencing service issues. 

I appreciate that you posted this on Wednesday. We did have an area concern this week which caused service disruptions to some of our customers. My apologies if you were affected by this. I have double checked at our side and cannot see any issues within the area anymore or issues with our hub specs and levels. 

Your live BQM also is showing that your service is running well today.

Does this issue only affect your WiFi devices? We would require you to run the checks and monitor whilst your 3rd party networking equipment is not connected so we can try and pin point the issue. 

Have your services been the same today with your devices disconnecting? We cannot see any router auto reboots at our side either and the speeds to the router are 1GB+

I would advise that if you request an engineer to attend when we have not located an issue - you maybe charged £25 if we find that there is no fault with our equipment or if the fault has been caused by any damage or 3rd party equipment. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Carley

over the past few days my connection has started to improve and my devices have stopped disconnecting from my own 3rd party router, i am still seeing a lot of very small dotted packet loss spikes on my BQM, could anyone in the community please look at my current BQM, and advise if these small red dotted spikes are normal or not, because i am under the impression there should be 0.00% packet loss, so these dots should not be appearing, my connection is a lot more stable especially on my own equipment as when i just run the hub in router mode with only my iPhone connected, over a 24 hour period i found the latency was higher and would become erratic at times, but with my own equipment the latency becomes stable, but in both cases those red dotted packet loss spikes were always still present, is this normal behaviour for Gig1 on a hub 5?, or do i still have an issue with packet loss ? Thanks in advance

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Matrixmick, thanks for the post and your update on this.

Glad to hear things have improved since last time we checked, please be aware that while you're on modem mode and using your 3rd party router we're unable to run our checks and monitor the issue.

Can you advise if the BQM graph was ran while on router mode and directly on our hub 5?

Also, regarding your complaint raised this has remained open so we can review your case and offer a resolution. 
This means you'll soon hear back from us on this either via call back or email.

Please, visit our complaints code of practice for more info on the step-by-step process we follow on these.
Was your complaint raised due to this issue or other?
You may also check it's progress and status on this link.

Do keep us posted and let us know if the issues persist after your latest update on Friday, also make sure you switch to router mode if you want us to monitor the issues as packet loss should be 0 
(on directly ran speed checks on the VM hub via ethernet, with all 3rd party equipment disconnected).

Regards,

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Matrixmick
On our wavelength

Hi Adri, i did run the Hub 5 for 4 days in router mode last weekend, every night i would disconnect my own equipment and just connect my iPhone to the hub itself while we slept, in the morning i would reconnect my own equipment as all my devices are connected to it to provide internet to my home, my family needed the internet during the day, I eventually placed the hub 5 back into modem mode as i was experiencing device dropouts from my own equipment when the hub 5 was in router mode, this would possibly be due to running both the hub 5 and my equipment together in router mode, causing a double NAT issue, but during this whole period i was still experiencing the packet loss, with and without my own equipment connected, but ironically enough after the country wide outage earlier this week, i am now experience zero packet loss issues and my connection has improved drastically, and is now more stable which I'm very happy about, i will continue to monitor my network, and report back if the issues do return, Is it possible since the country wide outage has been repair, it had somehow repaired the issues i was experiencing on my incoming fibre line ?, in terms of my complaint i will await communication, the complaint itself was more based on the lack of expertise of the engineer, the engineers conduct was courteous and polite I had no issue with his customers service skills, but the issue i had was the lack of knowledge that the engineer showed, no tests were carried out on my fibre line, including checking the green box outside my home, especially as this was stated to of been done on the corresponding email report i received following his visit, the engineer just took it upon himself to just replace the hub without even confirming if this was the issue in the first place, no equipment was used on his visit, as iv stated in my complaint, he came into my home, stared at the hub briefly, then went to is van to get a new one, when i asked why he was replacing it, he told me there was a virus on the hub, how could he possible know such a thing if no equipment was ever used to test the hub, he then subsequently replaced the hub, went back to his van, while the hub was rebooting, he looked as tho he was messaging away on his phone, while blasting out some drum and bass music which was causing his van to shake, he then came back connected to the wifi on the new hub 5, did a samknows speed test and told me all is fixed, zero packet loss and then left my home, shocking really would you agree ?, i am no network engineer, but i come from a very similar engineer background, throwing parts at a problem is not always the answer, it solves nothing, investigating and diagnosing the problem is the answer, this engineer did neither, i believe further training is certainly required for this engineer going forward, i just hope my connection stays improved and I hope these issues do not reoccur as it obviously proves the issue was external to my home network, and not my own equipment as i previously alluded too, thank you for your reply and i look forward to the response from my complaint.

Many Thanks

So in summery all is OK now?
---------------------------------------------------------------