Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet/wired max connection speeds

Morning all,

Just re-joined VM and I have the M100 package which is working fine.  Speeds from a wired laptop at the hub3 are fine.

I am getting intermittent speeds over a long cable run though, it would seem the hub is throttling the speeds differently at different times.  I'm happy that the cable run is in good working order, I had been using the same run without issue previously at about 80Mbps for a couple of months and with much resetting I can get 100Mbps over it with the hub3.  Other wired connections are all fine (sky box, laptop to check the hub speed) so it seems to me to be a setting issue, where it is guessing the speed of the line and then throttling to max accordingly.

I've tried multiple ports, wiggling connections, resetting router etc.  None of which seem to cause a persistent fix.  The cable run is about 8 meters of cat5e FTP up the side of the house and into the attic, then through a coupler to another 8m or so down to my office at the other side of the house.

Has anyone heard of anything similar?  I can start making changes to the network to stop using the hub but i'd rather not if I don't need to.

Thanks,
PH

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet/wired max connection speeds

change the cable.
It can only be hte cable if other connections are fine. Test it with another cable run the same length

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'll second that.  The Hub 3 has a reputation for SOMETIMES being pernickety about cables, and throttling back if it doesn't like them. By domestic standards you've got quite a long run, so even though it is "e", it may still be susceptible to noise that is sufficient to scare the Hub 3. 

I'd say replace it with a nice new length of Cat 7, although I recognise that if the existing cable is all neatly "plumbed in" that is easier said than done..And if it is going outside, make sure you buy weather proof cable for example this.  

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your responses.  I think the issue is with the hub firmware rather than the cable run.  It's FTP so should be fine outdoors.  Slightly annoying since the vodafone router it replaced had zero issues.  I guess I'll need a newer patch cable and try and fool it with a switch between the two.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Have you still got the old Vodafone router?  Might (and might not) work to configure that as a switch between the Hub 3 and the start of the cable run, so that the Hub 3 doesn't have a direct connection to the Cat5e?  I'd say there's only a modest chance of this working, but might be worth a try if you can set it up for free.  A related idea would be (if connections allow it) to configure the Voda hub as a router only, and put the Hub 3 in modem mode.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes still have the old router.  Have stuck a basic switch in there for now with what I think is a cat6 patch lead and hub reporting speed of 1000Mbps out which is to be expected.  Still getting reduced speeds (<10) upstairs though which would point to a cable issue.  Will do some end to end testing over the weekend and see if the cable actually is intermittent or not.  I want to avoid additional routers/modem mode if possible but that may be the solution.

Let's hope for a firmware upgrade soon.  The hub is really quite slow in loading it's various pages.  Super stable broadband though which is great for a new connection, usually a bit wobbly for the first week.

Cheers

0 Kudos