cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet connection on on PC working but not the other

MikeJB6
Tuning in

I recently purchased a new PC for my son to use upstairs. I don't want to use wireless so I purchased a new ethernet cable and plugged it into one of the spare sockets on the back of my VM Hub 4. Unfortunately, the internet connection doesn't work. 

There are a brief few seconds where there is a connection shown and then I get the no internet icon appearing.

I know that the ethernet lead (Cat 6) is fine as it works perfectly if I plug it into my PC. It just won't work when plugged into my son's PC.

Any help/preferred settings would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

MikeJB6
Tuning in

PS: Operating system is Windows 10 x64.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MikeJB6 wrote:

PS: Operating system is Windows 10 x64.

Does the W10 network troubleshooter reveal anything useful?

Does the PC have a wireless connection (for testing the issue, even though you don't want to use wireless in the long term)?

If you have wireless available on the new PC can you connect wirelessly (which would suggest an ethernet problem rather than a general networking problem on the PC).

Have you got any pre-installed security bloatware on the new PC which may be preventing a connection?

Hi MikeJB6

Sorry to hear of the connection issues with your son's new PC and the ethernet to the Hub, we appreciate you raising this via the forums.

As goslow has advised, running the trouble-shooter via windows is a great place to start as this will make sure the drivers etc are up to date. To do this, in the taskbar (usually along the bottom) on the right hand side there may be a symbol. It may look like a monitor with a wire to it or a circle/globe. Click on this and select 'troubleshoot' 

Also worth checking there is any pre installed anti virus that may be blocking this. Do you have any issues with other wired devices? Have you tried another ethernet cable?

Rob