cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email saying "We’d like to update your WiFi settings - different question about SH in router mode

klynchk
Up to speed

A slightly different version of this question was asked in https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Email-saying-quot-We-d-like-to-update-your-... - the poster operates his superhub in modem mode.

In the meantime - I've opted out of the change and backed up my existing configuration.

I operate my SH in router mode and I'd like to know the specifics of the proposed changes.

Is it just a config change or is it a f/w update and config change

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is no config changes that you need to make. There has been a firmware update, but that could have been some time ago. The modifications to the firmware are to allow for the use of the new pods. These are to boost you WiFi signal, but unless you are on a 1G plan or the top package they cost £5 per month. Of your system is working ok you can just ignore the information. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I have router backup files going back to 2018 - I did a backup today.

If there has been a "stability" update to the SH f/w I'm OK with that.

I've actually configured my router with a non-virgin media name - something like "Osgood" and my 5Ghz network is "Osgood_5g" - I guess the change they were proposing to make would have changed the network names.

I don't need the support of the pods - I could even have been in on the trial of them but I missed the invitation email.

I've opted out. I'm not averse to a configuration change - I'd just like to know in advance just what that is going to be, a chance for me to take a view on the risks that might occur and how it would impact my existing config. Also I'm leaving my wife at home on her own for a week and I'll be out of the house when the configuration change takes place.

I think if you want to 'opt out' of what a telco wants to do to their hub; you need to get your own router and put the hub in Modem mode!

Technically VM can do what they want to their kit alas sometimes these change can bork things!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7