Menu
Tkapoutsis
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Dynamic IP address change

Spoiler

Hi all, 

I have a virgin home connection that uses dynamic IP addressing. 
I have read in this forum that it should change every 16-20 days and have been leaving the router off over night. 

The issue I have is that my son gave our current pubic facing IP address out and we are now getting DDOS attacked by other teenagers as they think it’s amusing. 

Is there a way to force change this address. I have explained to my son why this is now happening but is having an impact on the family internet use.

Thanks in advance.  

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dynamic IP address change

Not easily i'm afraid. there's a similar thread here

Summary: short of buying yourself a new router and putting the hub into modem mode, or getting a new hub (which VM won't send unless there's a fault with your current one) there's no easy way of doing it.

0 Kudos
Tkapoutsis
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tehwolf, 

The router is in modem mode only as utilise a Draytek router behind it and a separate internal DNS server. 

The Draytek does support DDOS inspection and IP blocking which are enabled but having little impact at present. 

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Tkapoutsis wrote:

Thanks Tehwolf, 

The router is in modem mode only as utilise a Draytek router behind it and a separate internal DNS server. 

The Draytek does support DDOS inspection and IP blocking which are enabled but having little impact at present. 

if you use a draytek then you can change the mac address on the wan interface, which will issue you a new IP address.. see here

you might also want to consider some sort of VPN service (whether just on your kids gaming device, or implemented at the router so that all traffic traverses it) that will mask your IP address and allow you to get another one at will without disrupting your primary connection - check out the other thread i linked.. and remember that someone else will get your current IP address - hopefully, the DDOS will have died down / stopped by then, but you're potentially moving a problem created by you/yours onto someone else..