cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped Wi-Fi connection to Car charging point

Gadfly1
Joining in

Installed Hub5 . Working reasonably well in house. But connection with car charging point keeps dropping . (I re set charging point with new Wi-Fi network and codes and saw a connection, but next day signal dropped out . Following day it reconnected briefly then dropped again) Signal inside remains OK. I believe there may be a solution involving “separating” 2.4 and 5 g networks but would ask the forum for explicit instruction before trying anything.

7 REPLIES 7

g0akc
Problem sorter

How far away is the charging point from the hub?

Have you tried using a free WiFi analyser app to see how strong the signal is?  How many dBm is it?  

How strong are neighbours signals?

Do you have any pods?

Can you run cable to an additional wireless access point?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A couple of things to try but none of these will help if the wifi signal is too weak in the garage.

Split the SSID - Note do not do this if you are using VM Pods.

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.
• Disable the Smart Optimisation on the wifi bands.

Set the Hub 5 ax wifi to allow older legacy wifi kit to connect

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless signal
In the Wireless frequency 2.4GHz select Wireless mode > 802.11b/g/n/ax mixed
Select Apply changes

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thx for prompt replies. I am trying out using a  Pod in the house so doesn’t seem as though I can use the possible channel splitting solution.

the signal outside at front of house is OK, certainly looks strong enough in mobile phone for example, and to set up the charging point originally. Just to be clearer, the charging point Wi-Fi worked perfectly for 6 months with previous Virgin set up (hub3 and 350mbs) it doesn’t work with new set up (1g and Hub5) which seems perverse as it it is 3x faster speed and supposedly better Wi-Fi.that is why I wondered if there was a channel setting I could try?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, the Hub 5 can handle faster speeds, but it's not necessarily better than the previous hubs in all situations.

The Hub 5 has the latest Wifi 6 AX protocol and can, in some circumstances, not work with older kit.  You can try the legacy setting in the Hub as detailed below.  However, if you read the forums, there have been occasions were users have had to downgrade to a Hub 4 as the Hub 5 AX just would not work.

You could try a 3rd party ac protocol wifi extender in the garage, and get the charger to pair with it.?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thx very helpful

Gadfly1
Joining in

Update. The signal outside is poor <5mbs. But the charger worked perfectly for 6 months previously , so this set up is less reliable .  The. “Fix” I have found is to switch off charger point at its circuit board. Then back in and it finds the network again. Has held signal for several days now. Maybe it will stay or perhaps that procedure is going to be needed occasionally.  

Hi there @Gadfly1 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry that you have been facing these issues with your service, I am glad to hear that things have been more stable recently. 

How are thing with the charger since the last post?