cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant orange light

Ironfist1
Joining in

Hi just had virgin hub 3 fitted by an engineer yesterday and I have a constant orange light I can connect to the internet but there are no green lights I can’t connect with the virgin connect app says can not find hub i have tried all the suggestions thank in advance for the help

12 REPLIES 12

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Ironfist1,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I've had a look at things from our side and everything looks within the specifications we would expect.

How have things been since you posted?

Alex_Rm

No still the same tried everything will be on the phone tomorrow and try to get this solved

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The connect App is flaky at best. There is little it does that cant be done by logging in to the Hub settings - or by other means.

The orange light is just the 1p LED in an old Hub3 failing/fading from   white>beige>yellow>orange ... over time. So yes... you were issued with an older refurbished Hub3 unit - they don't change an LED.

If its working ok - dont worry about it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Cheers better get ready for the run around

Hey Ironfist1, We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with the Connect App recognising your hub. 

The first thing to be aware of is you need to be connected to your Home WiFi in order for the app to connect to the Hub. It won't allow the connection if you're on a Guest network, VPN or Mobile data. If this still doesn't help, try clearing the data within the Connect App. These steps will help you do that: 

For your Apple device, you can try this: Open Settings > Tap your name > Tap iCloud > Tap Manage Settings > Tap the Connect App > Tap Delete Data. 

For your Android device, you can try this: Open settings > Apps > Connect App > Storage > Clear data / Clear cache. 

If this also fails then we currently have a known error with some of the data in our systems, that is causing the app to not recognise the Hub in a minority of instances. We are already investigating this as a high priority. 

Pop back and keep us posted. 

Thanks, 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi 

it’s not the connect app the problem is the router it has a constant orange light and Wi-Fi is spotty can surf   But streaming it’s not to good sky was better even at a slower speed I have spoke to virgin they just got me to reset and they said a firmware upgrade is being installed wait half an hour I waited an hour and still the same I am no expert but I think it’s the router 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK as I said - ignore the orange light it has no relevance to your issue. There are two things to address....
---------------------------------------------
Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it really could be network connection/Hub related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens as a Hub3... is the base light a steady white/orange or flashing green?

On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max see.-

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max & https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/intelligent-wifi 

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

————————————————————————————————

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Ironfist1, 

Thanks for coming back to us in the Community and I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue with your WiFi connection. As mentioned above, the orange light is irrelevant and won't be what's causing your issues. 

I've checked the hub from this end and your downstream power levels are a little high. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

There are also so many things that can influence a WiFi connection some of which include but are not limited to, a fish tank being in the same room, walls being built with concrete instead of brick, it could even be that your next door neighbours router is interfering with yours. Due to this, we are only able to offer limited help. Please have a look here.

The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

➡ Out in the open

➡ Next to the TV not behind it

➡ Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)

➡ Away from baby monitors and cordless phones

➡ Away from microwaves

Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi. 

If that doesn't help, you can keep trying our Connect App which, once connected to the hub, will allow you to scan areas of your home and will offer help. You can view more information on that here. Just be aware that if know of Matthew's suggestions worked then we currently have a known error with some of the data in our systems, that is causing the app to not recognise the Hub in a minority of instances. We are investigating this as a high priority.

Finally, we have also just launched our WiFi Max service which guarantees a speed of 20MB in each room or you'll get a £100 bill credit. You can view more on that here.

For now if we get the engineer book in, address the power level issue and follow the self care advice above, this should hopefully resolve things for you. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Ironfist1,

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. Please note it can take up to 24 hours to show but you should also receive a text message with the details. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to pass data protection and confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

➡ The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 

➡ The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment

➡ The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

➡ The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the My VM app by 4pm the day before the appointment. If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

We will continue to monitor your services and if we can see that the fault has cleared and the visit is no longer required we will cancel the appointment and let you know by text and email.

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs