cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant WiFi Issues with Hub 3

VM_Man
Joining in

Hello all,

I am a new VM customer. As part of the installation I was given a Hub 3 which seems like I've had a bit of bad luck, as a number of people seem to be reporting similar issues to mine.

Since installation, I've had continuous issues with the WiFi. I have 4 devices connected via Ethernet and they've been absolutely fine.

Initially, I would get constant issues where the WiFi signal would be at full strength on devices, but would have no Internet. After a few minutes it would come back, or by rebooting the router. I had this issues every day, which made calls by Teams/Zoom almost impossible. 

As a test, I tried separating the 5Ghz and 2.6Ghz channels with different SSIDs and, whilst this has improved the situation a little bit, connections are still patchy. I have the router away from other devices, with no obstructions. Also, when running the tests on the website or through the app it states that there is low signal on a bunch of devices, including some that are literally within a couple of feet away from the router with no obstruction in between.

I have also tried removing the smart WiFi option, and manually changing channels but neither has improved the situation.

To me, either the router is faulty or it's common problem with the Hub 3 and I should be requesting a Hub 5?

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18

Hi VM_Man,

Sorry to hear you experienced some more issues on Friday. 

From having a look from here, we can see that a disconnection was logged on both Friday and Thursday, however we can't see any disconnections have occurred today so far. This disconnection would have affected both wireless and wired connections.

I've had a thorough look at your WiFi service and connection from here, and all of your connected devices are showing an excellent signal.

Please do let us know if you experience any further issues from here.

Beth

Hello Beth,

Please let me clarify. I am not complaining about broadband disconnects. Whilst it's interesting to hear that there have been a couple, that's separate from the issue I'm reporting.

I had another instance of the ATOM error last night which, again, caused the WiFi to go off completely, with a flashing light again on the router, and then it coming back after a few minutes without any intervention.

So there is clearly a problem with my router, not the connection. My wireless devices do have excellent connections, you're right. But again that's not the issue I'm reporting. The issue is with these ATOM errors and the fact that that WiFi restarts when this happens, and it's been happening regularly since I had my VM installed. Please note that previously I had none of these issues with Vodafone Broadband.

Can you please specifically address the ATOM errors I've been receiving and what the solution for this is. Is it a replacement router that's required? An engineer visit?

Many thanks,

Time Priority Description

18/03/2023 20:32:47noticeNOTICE ATOM is restarted due to Kernel/oops panic as part of Self Healing Mechanism ;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@VM_Man wrote:

Hello Beth,

<SNIP>

Can you please specifically address the ATOM errors I've been receiving and what the solution for this is. Is it a replacement router that's required? An engineer visit?

Many thanks,

18/03/2023 20:32:47noticeNOTICE ATOM is restarted due to Kernel/oops panic as part of Self Healing Mechanism ;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

@ForumTeam

Are you under some form of instruction to ignore the fatal flaw in the Hub 3?  The ATOM ERROR causes disconnects.  The ATOM ERROR is caused by a proven and admitted flaw in the Intel CPU.

Got it?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Hello again,

Once again, I've had the same problem happen again today.

Can you please suggest what action can be taken.

Many thanks.

20/03/2023 16:41:59noticeNOTICE ATOM is restarted due to Kernel/oops panic as part of Self Healing Mechanism ;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Hi there @VM_Man 

Thank you so much for your post and we are so sorry to hear that these issues have continued. 

I have taken a look into this on our side and I can see that there are a few issues with the Hub specs that will require an engineer to take a look. 

I will pop you a PM across now to arrange this, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

horseman
Alessandro Volta

@VM_Man wrote:

Hello again,

Once again, I've had the same problem happen again today.

Can you please suggest what action can be taken.

Many thanks.

20/03/2023 16:41:59noticeNOTICE ATOM is restarted due to Kernel/oops panic as part of Self Healing Mechanism ;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Only because I have persevered using SH3(from 3Q2015) thru multiple firmware(software) upgrades (in Router Mode)and at least 2 hub3 (hardware upgrades since 2019) using primarily NMS (trial “push”) and eventually CONFIG (production “Pull”) then it would be helpful if if you could clarify if AtomKernel panic is related to what specific Hub3 software & hardware versions?

Appreciate this may be “gobblygook” to average user but due to inept VM support (which may be politically derived/driven) then VM/FT is thus easily “obscured”?

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED

@Ashleigh_C wrote:

Hi there @VM_Man 

Thank you so much for your post and we are so sorry to hear that these issues have continued. 

I have taken a look into this on our side and I can see that there are a few issues with the Hub specs that will require an engineer to take a look. 

I will pop you a PM across now to arrange this, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

They SNMP onto you hub. Taking the highlighted wording literally, they’re not telling you anything meaningful.  The “hub specs” are something drawn up by ARRIS, the maker of the hub.  The hub power & SNR levels are something they can see as well as the Network Log.   The ATOM event will be as clear as daylight - this is a CPU crash and even the Forum Team know that.

The only thing the tech can do is replace your hub with anything but the Hub 3.  The tech is unlikely to know anything about an overloaded CPU.  I advise you to ask the FT to be more specific and to telll you what those “few issues” are.

Hello again

Thanks so much for your private message and confirming your address, I have now booked you a visit for your connection issues – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the My VM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

Lol - the flipping Hub 3 is fataklly gflawed. The tech - who knows very little at this level, may well find nothing wrong and bang, you’ve got a £25 fight on your hands - see you in court!