cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Hub3 restarts

2tiredofwaiting
On our wavelength

My Hub3 has been restarting multiple times during the day for the last couple of weeks. I've only been a customer for a few weeks, and it has never been that reliable, but it has now become so unreliable that it is affecting my ability to work. 

I have had two engineer visits. The first scoffed at the use of a 10db wideband attenuator and swapped it for a 3db one. The second engineer boasted of his large collection of attenuator and explained that due to the use of DocSis 3.1 that they no longer need any attenuators, and so took away the one fitted by the first engineer.

After he left the reboots continued. During this the hub3 stops responding to pings and cycles through orange lights to green lights (where it starts responding to pings again) and finally back to a solid red (magenta?) when all is good with the world again.

It makes videoconferencing quite hard as you are never sure when you'll have to take a 3minute break in the middle of a call whilst the hub3 does it's little reboot dance. It makes developing software difficult when half the boxes are hiding in the cloud. 

This seems to happen mostly during the day when both my partner and I are working, which is rather frustrating.

Below are a variety of thinkbroadband monitoring pages.
23rd, 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th & 30th April:

ab7fe8ca663e6c93b182a1cde72b972c29247402-23-04-2021ab7fe8ca663e6c93b182a1cde72b972c29247402-26-04-2021ab7fe8ca663e6c93b182a1cde72b972c29247402-27-04-2021ab7fe8ca663e6c93b182a1cde72b972c29247402-28-04-2021ab7fe8ca663e6c93b182a1cde72b972c29247402-29-04-2021ab7fe8ca663e6c93b182a1cde72b972c29247402-30-04-2021 

4th May and 5th May 2021:

ab7fe8ca663e6c93b182a1cde72b972c29247402-04-05-2021ab7fe8ca663e6c93b182a1cde72b972c29247402-05-05-2021

It's clearly a little better the last two days, but I've also been turning off various services to limit the amount of traffic. If the Hub3 is only able to offer the stonking 350Mb when there aren't enough devices connected to make use of it then I would be better off just signing up to a telephone line broadband provider who can supply a service and router that work. 

Any suggestions?

102 REPLIES 102

Friday not so great:

My Broadband Ping - useless virgin internets in modem mode

And an ominous start to today:

And absolutely zero communication from Virgin.

Sorry to see the issues have returned 2tiredofwaiting, from looking at your account and connection everything appears to be within the ranges and spec's we'd expect to see. There's nothing that stands out as an issue at this time, interestingly there are 4 upstream channels. You mentioned 5 previously?

Rob

Hey Rob.

Interesting that you're saying "everything appears to be within the ranges and spec's" you'd expect to see when my account should clearly show some of the history of the 3 engineer visits over the last 3 weeks and the BQM graphs alone should be indicative of something untoward happening?

And, yes, I did mention 5 upstream channels on one of my previous posts, but the router has restarted many many times since then, and it only occasionally manages to find 5 of these rather rare upstream channels.

Lastly, just to be clear, I wouldn't count the issues as having gone away until I've managed a few days without the shoddy box restarting, so this isn't an old issue returning for me, so much as a continuation of the unreliable service that started degrading on the 23rd April.

Here's the 23rd April:

And here's Friday, again:

I appreciate this is an on going issues and that you've had 3 engineer visits and the BQM details provided 2tiredofwwaiting. But, from looking at the connection all of the level's are within the ranges and spec we'd expect to see, this was raised by my colleague with the networks team back on the 12th May.

I have emailed them to see fi they have an update on this or their findings.

Rob

My router has now not rebooted itself for 10 days. 

This is the longest it has stayed up for since my problems first started on April 23rd. 

I have had no communication from Virgin that anything has changed, but I can only guess that the Network Team (who can only be contacted via one-way carrier pigeon?) managed to cast their magical fixing spell around 3pm on Monday 17th May.

For anyone else having regular hub restart issues, or any other internet woes, my only advice is to make a lot of noise every day about how useless Virgin Media are, and then they'll eventually do something about it (within roughly 3.5 weeks). 

Hopefully I won't be back here anytime soon...

Thanks for the update 2tiredofwaiting and glad to hear this issue appears at the moment to have been resolved.

If you need us again in the future, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Rob

Not sure if I should raise a new forum post, or just keep moaning on this one, but the random restarts are back with a vengeance this morning:

My Broadband Pong - useless virgin internets in modem mode

Guess I'll need to try calling them again 😩

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us @2tiredofwaiting

When the engineers have attended previously have they replaced the hub? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

The first of the three engineers replaced the hub and replaced a 10db for a 3db attenuator.

The second removed the attenuator entirely. 

The third thought he found a problem further upstream and passed it on to the mythical network team that never give updates. 

I did a pinhole reset of the hub earlier, not because i thought it would help, but because it is one of the constant (automated?) suggestions that arise. It's managed to stay up since then, but I would put money on it not being a fix for the problem. Does anyone know if virgin offer compensation for an unusable service, or is it one of those "it must be down for 17 straight days and then you'll get 9 flying club miles for every month it stays down after that" deals?

Lining up to be another useless virgin internets day.